Not open for further replies.

Toshiba Satellite laptop won't restart

620 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Model L450D
Serial 99467837K
Windows 7
After downloading automatic updates it refuses to restart, there is power there as I can here the fan and the power lights are on. All I have is a black screen and the laptop just seems dead.
Any ideas please?

#2 ·
There is a world of difference between no image on the screen and a dead laptop
Are keyboard lights on
does cap lock or number lock light illuminate
is hdd led on - at keyboard

have you tried external monitor
Were there any problems before the updates and to which updates do you refer

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, yes the keyboard lights are on, tried external monitor and still the same, the laptop has been fine before these updates(not sure what updates are as they update automatically)usually these are Windows 7 updates. I've had this laptop for approx. 8yrs with no problems. These updates were installed when I shut down the laptop now when I restart I get these symptoms.

#4 ·
Try disconnecting power and removing battery
Hold down power button for a full 20 seconds
Reconnect battery and power and see if that helps please

#6 ·
A windows update can cause a black screen once windows loads for various reasons.
One such reason is that the update can occasionally configure a laptop to use an external monitor - eg the wrong display
However a Windows update cannot usually cause a complete failure of a display during BOOT of the laptop when the post screen be it the general post screen or the Toshiba logo to be displayed as that is separate from the windows loading.

So if it was an update problem, which has been more prevalent in respect of the display issue in the case of 10, then it ever was on 7, one would expect the post screen still to show.

When the computer first powers on, check if anything at all shows
If it does report what that is please
If there is nothing at any stage - post what is usually seen before the loading of windows

On the black screen press Ctrl Alt and Delete key is anything then shown

If still absolutely nothing - try power on and then immediately keep tapping F8 key

#7 ·
Have you left the topic please or are you still pursuing the issue on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.