Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LED tv dark screen

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  stevecook 
#1 ·
I have a Hannspree tv which has a dark area top to bottom in the centre of the screen when I switch it on, fortunately after about 5 minutes the screen lights up normally.
Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this or should I expect it to get worse, it's only been like this for a couple of weeks?

#5 ·
Drabdr, model is Hannspree LCD TV HSG 1142 32". I have tried all the adjustments while the dark screen is on but nothing makes it better, however I did notice that the backlight setting is on 100 (maximum). It still goes away after a few minutes and sometimes a thin horizontal white line appears briefly just before the display goes normal.

#6 ·
Try this and see if it helps:

Turn the TV off and take a clean, lint-free (preferably brand-new) cloth and wipe, using firm yet cautious pressure, from the center of the screen to the edges. Repeat until the visibility of the clouds is reduced.

Reactions: GrinHulk
#7 ·
I did as you said with the cloth and the darkness cleared but returned at next switch on but stayed on for longer before it cleared. I also did some tinkering with settings but next time I looked they had returned to their previous settings, a little worrying!

#8 ·
Steve, I'm really sorry I'm not being any help. I have exhausted my ideas. The only other thing I can think of is contacting technical support for the television.

My experience in general with your TV issues is a failing part/board; and usually is not cost effective to replace.

#9 ·
Thanks Drabdr, things have developed now the dark patch is permanent but when objects on screen move into it they show up red. I have ordered another TV to replace it but would like to open it up and see if it is repairable, if you have any pointers what to look for I would be grateful, or if it's not worth the effort at 8 years old.

#13 ·
Yes, that sounds like a backlight issue to me. I have an old Dell 32" LCD TV in my guest bedroom in which portions of the backlight are dimmer than other portions causing what was described above. Once it warms up it is still there, but not as noticeable and only with certain images.

Yes, Dell did make TV's. Mine is a model 3201C circa 2005 :eek:...and that is why it is delegated to the guest room that might get used once every 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.