Tech Support Guy banner

Animal Extinction - the greatest threat to mankind

138K views 1K replies 44 participants last post by  ekim68 
#1 ·
By the end of the century half of all species will be extinct. Does that matter?
Article here.

-- Tom

#2 ·
.... it matters to me :(

...heck I'm worried about polar bears, caribou, BEES... sparrows, Mulder.... You name it I'm worried.

one in four mammals, one in eight birds, one in three amphibians, one in three conifers and other gymnosperms are at risk of extinction.
our present course will lead to the extinction of half of all plant and animal species by 2100.
That's staggering!!!!!

#3 ·
bumping this, as I think this is very important... people should really pay attention to information like this... THIS is the war we should all be fighting... but on no... wars on terror get the attention... shows you actually were peoples priorities are...

If all these animals and other living things go extinct, you won't have a pot to pee in... never mind some stupid money wasting war machines used to kill people rather than save the world, it's Earth, it's plants and Animals...

...human beings are a selfish lot.

Right, I'm going back out into my garden to play... so naa :D

#4 ·
I think it's a great idea for a thread too,:) , i will try to contribute to it...

#5 ·
As the population of this planet increases...humans are encroaching on every habitat...not to mention our consumption rate. To the animals of this planet other than ourselves :D
we are like a disease that is spreading.

I am saddend by the fact that animals are becoming exinct at a staggering rate, victims of an over populated planet of humans

it's only natural that it comes back to bite us all in the arse :D

#8 ·
#10 ·
see...people matter most..that's the argument I hear...lowly animals...who cares? Unable to defend themselves from the onslaught of our civilization spreading out over this planet with a handful of people that really care and intend to do something about it. We the deep thinking species must come up with real viable solutions, before this chicken today - fethers tomorrow mentality comes back at us with devistating results. All animals matter and the insects as well. We share the planet with them and they as well have a right to exist.

#11 ·
George is ready for the next 'Ice Age.'

There was a report in the newspaper today, that botanists here in the UK have assembled a so called 'Bilion Seed Store.' The ideabeing that they will be able to contribute to replanting, after some so called 'global catastrophe.'

Should we be doing the same with DNA from Birds, Fish, and Mammals ?

#13 ·
#17 ·
ekim68 said:
Will zoos end up being the only place for other animals?
I doubt it and hope not...I guess it depends on what decade you're talking about :D

Global warming is a reality...and how it effects everything on this planet is yet a mystery

one thing that I find puzzling is the fact that scientists do little to check the effects on animals and plants of genetic and chemical alterations of plants. One major flaw and it could wipe out something like all the bees or? ;)

scairy stuff indeed

we depend on other animals and insects more than many realize

when I watched Planet Earth on the Discovery channel, much of it really saddened me

#18 ·
We must work to save the species left. Who are we to wipe them out? We must have real solutions in an effort to save these species. and take the proper precautions as well. As human race evolves, hopefully we can realize how key they all are to our existance and to our children and grandchildren. Creating more what they call GREEN evironments and attitudes...regardless of how large Corporations want to rape the earth in an effort to make an extra buck. We must see the consequences now of what we are doing and correct what we can ASAP! A collective effort of the status quo for the very survival of not just human kind but every living thing on this planet

#19 ·
I agree. And it starts with education...From and to all of us..And, everyone can do an individual thing to help..Small but sure....Like, use less resources..(That's another discussion.)

It would be interesting to see if the scientists who look for planets that can support life in the way we know it, check for pesticides also... ;)

#20 ·
poochee said:
I'm guessing yes!
We cannot have that mentality...we cannot give up...hope and determination can bring about positive changes...we are not doomed...we had a wake up call...now it's time to heed it's message and work for the futire not just the present. I say that we cannot give up...we need to fight for these things, regardless if people call us tree hugging animal lovers. Nothhing cool how being capitalistic corporate lovers is there? We don't just need corporations, we need so much more and we must as a supreme race wake up and smell the coffee before it is truly too late...people need to stand up and join the organizations that are working to protect. and even form some new ones in an effort to save us all. A premptive strike that matters..Which would be a first

#21 ·
ekim68 said:
I agree. And it starts with education...From and to all of us..And, everyone can do an individual thing to help..Small but sure....Like, use less resources..(That's another discussion.)

It would be interesting to see if the scientists who look for planets that can support life in the way we know it, check for pesticides also... ;)
Education is the key...and the heart and determination to bring about positive change.
it depends if greed is at the heart of the issue and if the people are willing to be the watchdogs against these things and the protectors of all things on earth...A fight that matters to us and our future

#23 ·
ekim68 said:
I wrote a song called 'Blame Greed'
:up:

right on Ekim! If you ever decide to share it..I'd like to see it..

you know...copyright it first ;)

I'm tired of this bend over and take it mentality, especially in a so called free Nation...we as a collective whole can truly make strides in saving this panet and it's living things if we just get up off the couch and fight! I am part of some organizations that are fighting, but it's not enough. We need more people and more organizations to fight this greedy sect of (could care less) people and this global spiral to obliteration. We the people can do it! But it will take hard work and determination. Regardless of what political affiliation you have...after all, we are all in this together. We make our planet what it is and now it's time to fix it any way we can! We can overcome anything with a collective voice...our Government and these big Corporations are counting on the fact that we won't fight for what's right..they're wrong!.

Awareness is key..then implementation

#25 ·
Who knows, maybe you will all see me leading something like that...I believe that one person can make change and I've been looking into how to do it...That would truly be the greatest of lifes dreams to be a champion of animals and environment..maybe it's a pipedream but I'll still fight with all of my might anyway I can. It is my duty as a human being on this planet with a belief and hope that we can turn it all around someday.

So come on folks

stand up and take a stand for the betterment of us all!

#26 ·
ekim68 said:
Sure, I wrote it to share...And, it is copyrighted...

http://www.oldguys.net/mp3s/cd4/07_greed.mp3
excellent! nice step in the right direction! :up:

Yep we should care about other people indeed...blame greed? no doubt :D

have to sent it off to radio stations or anything?

Thanks for sharing that with us!