Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XML file conversion

420 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Oddba11 
#1 ·
Hi
I have saved a lot of PowerPoint, Word,
PDF and Excel files onto an external portable drive. I am trying to upload them onto a new Lenovo laptop in which I have installed Office 365.

The files seem to have been saved as XML files and I am struggling to convert them back to PowerPoint, Word etc

Help!

Newbie8

#2 ·
Two things here:

1) An XML file is an XML (Extensible Markup Language) data file. It is formatted much like an .HTML document, but uses custom tags to define objects and the data within each object. XML files can be thought of as a text-based database. XML file open in Microsoft XML Notepad.

also ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Office_filename_extensions

2) Each of the programs noted above, default to a standard file type for that software (ie: PowerPoint = .ppt, Excel = xls, Word = doc, etc). It appears to be possible to save files from each program as an xml file, but that would have been an option that you selected during the save process. The reason each program has it's own native extension, is so that you can look at a file (or folder of files), and know what type of file it is.

As each of the programs supports the xml file format, the program which created the document should be able to open it. At which point, if you want to use a different file type, simply "save as" the file type of your choice.

In other words, there is nothing to convert. It will simply be a huge process of trial and error using each program to see which files it can open and then saving them in a different format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.