Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

When installing another HDD, PC won't boot.

Tags
hdd hdd issue
772 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  8biosdrive 
#1 ·
When installing my old 2TB HDD (SeaGate Barracuda) which worked fine in my old server, my PC won't boot. It will just stay as a black screen after offering to enter BIOS. Then, after taking the HDD out, BIOS will not allow me to boot from my SSD, and will only show my 1TB HDD as a boot option. So, in order to boot again, I need to unplug my 1TB HDD, so that it can only boot from my SSD. Then I can turn off my PC, plug back in the 1TB HDD, and it will be fine. The 2TB HDD shows up in the BIOS. but when its plugged in I cannot boot from my SSD, or the recovery on my 1TB HDD.

Specs :
Acer H11H4 - AD2 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6400 @ 2.7GHz (Turbo 3.3GHz)
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon XFX RX 480 8GB Black Edition
120GB M.2 Sata SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
600W PSU 80+ Bronze
6x 80mm Case fans
2x Fan controllers
Thermaltake Xaser III Case

#3 ·
Yes, I have Windows 10. I set my SSD as the primary boot drive, yet when I plug in the 2TB HDD, it wont boot from it, and no, the 2TB HDD doesnt have windows installed. As I said before, when unplugging after trying to boot with it, it will say my SSD is no longer a boot option until I unplug my other HDD too (which works fine).

#4 ·
It looks like you have 4 SATA ports on your motherboard. Which port is your sad plugged into? Which port do you plug the 2 Tb hdd into? Since the bios seems to have a preference for the 2 Tb hdd port (causing the boot to fail), have you tried switching those ports and rebooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.