Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question about Linux Mint

667 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and I hope that I am posting this in the right area. I have installed Linux Mint on an old computer that will not boot to Windows. I have Mint up and running. I want to get some things off that old computer like pictures. I have found the pictures and would like to copy those pictures from Mint to a USB drive but I cannot get it to work. Can this be done and if so can you guide me?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Simplest way is to open the USB drive. Then drag the photo files over to the open USB drive's window.
You'll be given a choice of 'copy' or 'move'.

For you, 'move' should work nicely. That will copy them to the USB drive and remove them from the old Windows folder at the same time.

#5 ·
Simply right click on the USB icon to open it. That mounts and opens the drive.
Where ever the files or folders are you want to save and remove, just like Windows, drag them into the open window of the USB drive.
Then you'll get a popup menu to 'copy' or 'move'
Choose 'move'.
Close the USB window.
Then just like Windows, you need to unmount the USB drive to remove it properly.
Right click the USB icon and choose 'unmount'.

You don't need to open the files to move them.

Liz has a point. The manner in which you installed your Linux distro may have over written your photo files.
It depends on how the hard drive was re-partitioned.
A Live Linux distribution on a USB flash drive or DVD would have avoided such a situation.

I assumed you still had access to them.

#4 ·
If you installed Mint over Windows, then you might have wiped your files.

What you should have done is run Mint from a USB stick. It would not overwrite the hard drive.
Then you open Mint's File system (like Windows Explorer), find the folders with items you want to move off the unbootable computer. You'd attach either a large USB stick or portable hard drive and copy what you want to that device.

#7 ·
Mint is a good choice for this, it's actually based on Ubuntu but has a more windows like desktop.

There should be a Icon for the Usb drive on the Mint desktop, double-click on it to open the drive in a file explorer style window. Now you can drag and drop the files you want to keep between 2 windows or right-click on a file > Copy then in the other window right-click where you want to copy the file to and Paste.

I think it would be safer to use COPY rather than MOVE, if anything goes wrong the original files will still be available then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.