Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Touchscreen Laptop Nightmare!!

Solved 
1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  hisbeauty4ashes 
#1 ·
Hi all my friend bought me a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Touchscreen Laptop 12 gigs memory Core I 5. I just got it last night. I set it up and that was it. Now I turned it on today and it has been black screen for the last 10 min. I noticed last night it gets hot on the bottom of the laptop when it is on my lap and it is loud. Good Lord I thought Dell was a good company and now paying almost $700 it is crap!! Can someone help me get passed this black screen????

Thanks

#4 ·
When you switch it on it should show what key to press to get into the Bios at the bottom of the screen,it might use the word Setup rather than Bios.
It's usually F2 for Dell laptops. The Bios version will be shown in the Bios.

Updating a Bios does entail some risk. If you post the Service Tag, it should be on label underneath and/or in the Bios, we can use that to help with the Bios update.

#5 · (Edited)
Okay it was up to date. Now I have another issue. I cannot believe these issues with a brand new computer. The CPU is running 100% it runs hot it says Google is taking all the juice. It did that as soon as I set it up though too. This is strange.. Can someone help me figure this out. New computer should not be having all these issues. This is a brand New Dell. My goodness what gives!

#7 ·
If it has a 1TB hard drive (I.e. spinning drive) the first setup will take forever...I bought mine (like the one you mention...sans touchscreen, my exact model is Dell 15 model 5570) and it took a good 45 minutes to do the initial setup and 3-4 minutes to boot. I put in an NVMe drive and it works great. There is an M.2 slot in addition to the SATA drive and you can have both at the same time (see screenshot below).

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

At a minimum I'd put in an SSD, but you might want to upgrade the RAM while you're in there, too. Here is a video that shows how to do it:

#9 ·
Service Tag DDFXXR2

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12185 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (865 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 09YTN7
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

#10 ·
First of all.."Keep it off your lap".Some laptops have vents on the bottom to circulate air to the cpu so that it does not over heat.You may be restricting airflow if your leg is covering the vent.I keep mine on a 9x12 bread rack.It sit's 1 inch off the table,giving it room to breathe.Restricting air can cause your cpu to over heat and fry your motherboard.
This is a new computer.It will take time to set up.Usually the first initial setup means it also has to update.So im sure auto-updates is running in the background among other things.let it set for a while.check the cpu usage every so often.
Google chrome is the most cpu intensive browser.Firefox i find is more cpu friendly.
"Sivartk"..upgrade the ram???? 12 gigs is plenty sufficient i would say.More then enough unless of course they are into gaming.
On the downside..the cpu is only 1.60ghz....enough said.

#11 ·
"Sivartk"..upgrade the ram???? 12 gigs is plenty sufficient i would say.More then enough unless of course they are into gaming.
On the downside..the cpu is only 1.60ghz....enough said.
Oops, I missed that in the OP's original post. I have a computer just like it (sans touchscreen) and it came with 8GB of RAM and the slow 1TB drive. Since these are such a pain to take apart and upgrade, that is why I suggested upgrading the RAM while you have it open. I upgraded mine to 16GB just to future proof since I keep my laptops 5-8 years, plus I wanted to run dual channel.

For what I use my laptop for (mainly surfing the web, light office work and the occasional Blu-ray / DVD rip), the i5-8250u is sufficient, plus it will Turbo to 3.4GHz

#12 ·
#14 ·
What s happening is that the cpu jumps way up high. I keep trying to illuminate things. Now I am getting rid of the Mcafee Antivirus because it was high on the cpu chart.
That is a good plan of attack. I remember mine taking forever on the spinning hard drive to boot / finish the initial install. I installed an M.2 NVMe so I re-installed from a clean (aka no bloatware) version of Windows 10. I'd call Dell if after several days the CPU is just running constantly at over 90%

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.