Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"no boot device available"

2K views 46 replies 7 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 · (Edited)
hey since two days I bought a computer and the windows is still not installed on the computer, so I got this message when I turned on the computer

no boot device available

strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility press f5 to run onboard diagnostics.

I tried to install windows 7 by a cd and didn't work and still getting the same message

#2 ·
Is a hard drive listed in the CMOS/BIOS Setup Utility? (Press [F2] when prompted to get into the Setup Utility).

If no hard drive is listed, there is a serious hardware problem that must be resolved before you can go any further. If the BIOS cannot see the hard drive, then neither will any Operating System (like Windows).

If a hard drive is listed, boot the computer from Windows 7 DVD and follow the onscreen instructions to install Windows on the hard drive. Note that you may need to change the "boot order" in the Setup Utility from trying to boot from the hard drive first, to try booting from the CD/DVD drive first instead.

#7 ·
If no hard drive is listed, there is a serious hardware problem that must be resolved before you can go any further. If the BIOS cannot see the hard drive, then neither will any Operating System (like Windows).

#9 ·
Is there a hard drive in the computer?

Is the hard drive connected properly?

If the hard drive uses cables to attach it to the motherboard and power supply, are they known-good cables?

Are the contacts on the hard drive (and cables if applicable) connectors clean?

When you power on the computer can you feel and/or hear the hard drive spinning?

#11 ·
Is there a hard drive in the computer?

Is the hard drive connected properly?

If the hard drive uses cables to attach it to the motherboard and power supply, are they known-good cables?

Are the contacts on the hard drive (and cables if applicable) connectors clean?

When you power on the computer can you feel and/or hear the hard drive spinning?
i opened the computer and there's a hard drive and actually, i can see the information of the HDD when i click on drives

#13 ·
If a hard drive is listed, boot the computer from Windows 7 DVD and follow the onscreen instructions to install Windows on the hard drive.

Note that you may need to change the boot order in the Setup Utility (under Boot Sequence). You want the computer to try and boot from your Windows DVD first, (before trying to boot from the hard drive).

#25 ·
With F12 not even showing the CD/DVD drive, either the drive is bad or the PC is new enough to have a UEFI BIOS which probably means it came with Windows 10. If it is a UEFI BIOS, you would need to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in the BIOS (system setup).
As a note, there may be no drivers for Windows 7 so the best answer would be for you to post the SERVICE TAG number which is on the bottom of the laptop; though, almost without a doubt, you'll need a new hard disk drive anyway.

#27 ·
hey I gave the computer back to the person that I bought the computer from, he said he will solve this problem so I left the place and backed after 2 hours and I found he installed windows 7 (not sure but I think he installed windows with an USB) anyway now I'm trying to install windows 7 with a cd but the DVD ROM doesn't read it and doesn't even show in the device manager, so any solutions?

#43 ·
If he installed windows with an USB , why are you trying to install again with a disk? Maybe I am not under standing , you said you tried your DVD drive on another computer (see picture) . Some dells require you go into the Bios and turn on each SATA port for the drives you have including the DVD. Rectangle Auto part Transparency Computer component Font

#34 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.