Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linux instead of Win 7?

5K views 107 replies 9 participants last post by  Biffons 
#1 ·
I have an older Noteobook supplied with Win 7 wich gets a new SSD. I do not want to use Win 7 anymore because of the support / updates ending next Januar.

Can / should I use Linux now? Can I go on using all of my programs then? Does Linux have a firewall, an antivir program?

#96 ·
I can only conclude there is something wrong with your installed Puppy distro.
The ISO has right checksum. And I tried on two different sticks, easy2boot and with Universal USB Installer or YUMI.

I've not seen anything go wrong with the Puppy Packet Manager unless there was an Internet connection problem and it got stuck in the update process.
The connection worked.

Are you sure you waited for the app update to finish before moving to the next step?
I waited for a long time at least and I could not see any indication that the download goes on.

As to the distro list that is being updated, on mine I leave Tahrpup unchecked and the rest checked.
I do not remember to have seen Tahrpup.

EXE files and other executable Windows files won't run in Linux. Some could work in WINE but I've never tried that.
I do not understand which package I had to download when I want to use WINE. Is there one with Mint or Puppy?

What does it mean when it says the package, distro is supported for 5 years or so. Is it not usable anymore after like Win 7 in one year?

#97 ·

What does it mean when it says the package, distro is supported for 5 years or so. Is it not usable anymore after like Win 7 in one year?
This is what I see when I chose a repository and the download choices. It helps to type into the search box what you want to bring it up quickly

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Technology

As to End of life or Support.
The distro is simply no longer updated for bugs and security. A new distro is often offered by the same source. A different Name but a similar layout.

For the record, Win 7 can be used after EOL, MS simply no longer supports corrections or solutions for bugs and security.
Some people go to 3rd party solutions after EOL.
I have with earlier MS Windows. But the nagging question remains, are 3rd party solutions good enough?

#99 ·
As to End of life or Support.
The distro is simply no longer updated for bugs and security. A new distro is often offered by the same source. A different Name but a similar layout.
So after that time one just has to use the new distro offered then, alright. And obviously it might be there is not offered a new distro so one would have to choose another one.

For the record, Win 7 can be used after EOL, MS simply no longer supports corrections or solutions for bugs and security.
Yes, it can be used anyway, but - I would think - without security updates it is much to risky, so actually it is not usable may be besides of using it without Internet connection.

Some people go to 3rd party solutions after EOL.
Which ones?

There should have been a small popup message saying something like 'ppm successfully updated.'
Yes, after the working downloads there was shown a window with green or so, if I remember it right. That Puppy window was greyed out / milky and kept milky during the downloads not working.

#100 ·
So after that time one just has to use the new distro offered then, alright. And obviously it might be there is not offered a new distro so one would have to choose another one.
There is always that chance with any company.
Puppy, though, is more of a community effort by interested coders that build to a common theme. What you've probably seen and read of are the most popular, but there seem to be hundreds of Puppy variants because Barry Kauler who designed the first Puppy distro, made it possible for interested parties to make and modify their own versions.
Xenialpup is based on Ubuntu and when Ubuntu brings out a new version, Puppy distros like Xenial often follow up with a new distro based upon the new Ubuntu distro and rename it according to the Ubuntu distro's naming.

A little history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

Naming, derived from Ubuntu distros.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
So this is what would be a possible replacement when Xenialpup goes unsupported:
http://blog.puppylinux.com/upup-bionic-beaver

Yes, it can be used anyway, but - I would think - without security updates it is much to risky, so actually it is not usable may be besides of using it without Internet connection.

Which ones?
:D
That's one of the catches. As owner of your computer, it's up to you to find replacement security.
TSG can help with suggestions.
I've used Sandboxie from XP to Win 7 with good results.
Firefox as my browser with 4 or 5 important extensions for security....which btw...I also use on the Firefox I have installed in Xenialpup.

Yes, after the working downloads there was shown a window with green or so, if I remember it right. That Puppy window was greyed out / milky and kept milky during the downloads not working.
Post a screen shot if you can.

#101 ·
I guess, whenn using such widespreaded distros like Puppy, Mint one does not need to worry that much.

Many thanks for the links and the screenshot.

As owner of your computer, it's up to you to find replacement security.
Ah I see, you mean Firewall and antivir program. Yes, that would not be such a big problem, I assume, if they will keep working with Win 7. I meant more of security vulnerabilities of Win 7 like they often or sometimes occur as far as I know with Win. And may be other programs might not work anymore after some time, may be Java, Framework, dependencies, etc.

Sorry, what is TSG?

Post a screen shot if you can.
I had done it, but I do not have any screenshot program on Xeniapup / Linux at the moment.

#102 ·
I guess, whenn using such widespreaded distros like Puppy, Mint one does not need to worry that much.

Many thanks for the links and the screenshot.

Ah I see, you mean Firewall and antivir program. Yes, that would not be such a big problem, I assume, if they will keep working with Win 7. I meant more of security vulnerabilities of Win 7 like they often or sometimes occur as far as I know with Win. And may be other programs might not work anymore after some time, may be Java, Framework, dependencies, etc.

Sorry, what is TSG?

I had done it, but I do not have any screenshot program on Xeniapup / Linux at the moment.
You are at TSG :D TechSupportGuy

You don't need a special app in XenialPup to take a screenshot.
Just press the keyboard key 'print screen' and you've got an image you can edit/crop and save. From there simply post it when you respond in a thread.

I found the MS firewall to be about the best there was for Windows when using the advanced settings. At least for Win 7. That you would want to keep.
I used the default anti virus. It should be OK for several years beyond EOL.
It's the 'not yet found' buggy software issues and the missed vulnerabilities that will be the main issues. New threats often need new approaches for fixes and MS corporate interest stops when MS declares software EOL ( end of life ) .
That's when the searches begin for 3rd party solutions/fixes. Eventually they dry up as the software in question ages and is used less and less.

#103 ·
TSG, oops!

I found the MS firewall to be about the best there was for Windows when using the advanced settings. At least for Win 7. That you would want to keep.
Although there are not any updates (for the Firewall) anymore.

I used the default anti virus. It should be OK for several years beyond EOL.
Although there daily or very often are updates during the supported period which will not be available anymore after EOL? So new maleware could not be recognized anymore? Or am I missing anything?

So at least the use of Win 7 will or might become more or less risky and effortable after EOL.

#104 ·
TSG, oops!

Although there are not any updates (for the Firewall) anymore.
I don't remember any to start with.

Although there daily or very often are updates during the supported period which will not be available anymore after EOL? So new maleware could not be recognized anymore? Or am I missing anything?
That could apply to the antivirus app MSE. But the virus definitions from MS do seem to continue for several years after EOL.
It would be the antivirus app itself that could cease to be upgraded.

So at least the use of Win 7 will or might become more or less risky and effortable after EOL.
Tough question. For a diligent user that keeps up on security issues and practices safe browsing, probably not much of a change in risk for several years after EOL.
For the rest of us.....well.....:D

You asked about Linux alternatives for MS apps.
Here's a link you might find handy:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

#105 ·
OK, may be not that evil after EOL...on the other hand I guess, I belong to the rest...well...so the end seems near(er)...anyway, better having started using Linux now instead of doing it some time after EOL.

Ah yes, that's great, many thanks for the link to the alternatives.

#106 ·
And just copying the distros / easy2boot on USB to another one or to the hard disk and then to USB-Stick seems to work.

With YUMI it is also possible to run multiple distros / ISOs from a single USB-Stick.

#107 ·
And just copying the distros / easy2boot on USB to another one or to the hard disk and then to USB-Stick seems to work.

Copying back and forth has worked well for me using Sandisk flashdrives.

But I just tried it out on a Kanguru brand flash drive with a write switch and it wouldn't boot.
Only Rufus would make it bootable and I had to install Puppy from a fresh iso file.

So there is that exception.

#108 ·
And suddelny the easy2boot USB-Sticks are not bootable anymore, ldlinux.c32 couldn't be loaded or so is displayed.

Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-29-1.2 looks very good as well (besides of the flickering display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.