Status
Not open for further replies.

Best practice - Backup strategies but 1 size doesn't fit all

Tags
backup
581 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bsacco 
#1 ·
Hello TSGs.

I need some recommendations for a backup strategy that includes archiving family photos and just my on-going PC that I work on in my home office.

Agreed rules:

1) Yes, I'm going to buy Backblaze as my off-site backup method.

2) I need a software recco for on-site backup. Do I just do 1-to-1 backups of files or do I do a complete image of my backup? I don't really understand the difference that well and the pro and con's. I found that most backup programs just hog resources while you are trying to work on the PC - very annoying. Plus, they are a hassle to recover. So, I'm looking for something that works and is easy.

3) I have an external USB hard drive reserved all the valuable family photos and key data that could be stored at an off-site physical location like a bank safety deposit box. I also need a software recco here too because I'm going to have to cram lots of files on one hard drive for storage. Image? Zip? need reccos here.

Let me know if you have different reccos on my rules above.

So, basically, I have developed a Folder hierarchy that can work for all my personal and business data. This part is easy because it doesn't change much and just gets updated or archived as the years go on.

I'm a bit challenged when it comes to family photo backups. Currently, we use Amazon Prime so i use Amazon Photos to store my photos in the cloud with backups on my External USB hard drives. The Folder hierarchy is basically like this:

2019>
2019-01
2019-02
2019-03

etc....through 2019-012

If anyone has a better method/hierarchy let me know.

OK, so that's it.

What is the best practice for a situation described above?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I'm also using Win 7.
I use the backup program 'Syncback Free'
https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html

I've been using it for more than a decade for home/office backups.
No compression, duplicates a MS Windows file tree and best of all for me, can be easily read/searched at any time through my document management software, Paperport, for individual files and folders.
Restoring a backup is simply a copy and paste of what ever you want/need. All or specific files/folders.

Paid versions are supposed to backup across networks.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/help/backup.htm
I don't back up to offsite locations like the 'cloud'.

As far as hierarchy, that's really an issue of what you are saving to start with and what works best for you.
A business might be yearly then month to month as you inferred.
Home/office might be topics then broken down into years then dates.

My Documents folder sits on a different partition than my OS. So drive images are only of my OS, and data backups only concern a different partition( not an image). Less complication, less confusion. Less space used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.