Tech Support Guy banner

Flat Earthers - I have a question

18K views 112 replies 17 participants last post by  Johnny b 
#1 · (Edited)
This has been popping up all over these days and since these boards have a section for this kind of subject, I thought, what could go wrong? Right? (famous last words)

I do not subscribe to the theory or any related conspiracy that the earth is flat and somehow this would be fact is being hidden from people.
What I do subscribe to is the idea that it is OK to discuss such controversy without risks of being burned at a stake, even if there is a flamewar somewhere. Oh the puns, sorry.

So I was cruising around the web, when suddenly some flat earther posted this.

So I watched it and ignored the fact that most of that is 3D out of what looks like some flight sim and I also ignored the fact that the lens used in some actual footage (yes they used some lens that distorts the round horizon upwards, as you can see in the beginning after the 3D fake stuff.) and you can see the atmosphere in the horizon at the left and right edges of screen is so far distorted that it goes up and that at stages the inclination of the camera shows the rounded horizon before being distorted into a visual and artificially created view. ITS OBVIOUS... But OK, Ill accept it for argument sake only.

And I kept ignoring various other tidbits until the video concludes with a list of reasons why these flat earthers believe they are being lied to.

At this point my chair broke as I fell out of it laughing and split my side.

We are all special, some more special then others, no matter what you believe in, this is clear by this Flat Earth Society members and their videos.

So I have a question to any known flat earthers.

Can you provide real footage that clearly shows the edges?
Can you provide real evidence of whats on the underside of this woodbe plane.
And if the moon is only a light and doesnt exist, how come you can see it on a telescope?
If theres free energy and the creator being hidden, is there a 110v/220v socket floating somewhere that the creator pays the bill for?
And if there is such a socket or source, how can I plug my stuff into it?

Come ON flat earhers, you have resources like planes, and boats not made of wood that you can send to investigate and document, and make credible not doctored documentary narrated by any credible naturalist and post it on TV/Web/Cable, its been centuries so where is your actual evidence (not fake videos like the above), and not some 50 million year old document, where is the contemporary scientifically backed documented evidence?

Surely after all this time, this evidence would be around, or did these people fall off the edge of the plane flat earth? Where they gobbled by a gigantic sea monster? If so where the evidence of that?

I have so many questions but lets see... if any gets answered.

See less See more
#73 ·
Simple explanation - it is the force that attracts two or more particles together.

For a more detailed explanation - Wiki has a fair enough explanation with links to further reading if you want it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

Reactions: valis
#72 ·
For the avoidance of doubt, it's a wind up. I do not really believe that the world is flat, except, of course, on the "topside". The world is really a quasi Tipler Cylinder of infinite depth of which the "top" surface is the world. The Russians haven't a hope in hell of reaching the bottom (and nor do the tree roots). Rumour has it that there is something called Australia down there somewhere but I don't know about that. I had an ancestral relative who was deported to Australia but I think that was just a story for kids and that they really just threw him off the edge. I have a neighbour who claims to come from Australia but she talks funny and so is obviously deranged.

Now here is an alternative theory. We all live on the surface of a big ball that spins in circles around another big ball, and that big ball is on fire. And the moon is another big ball that spins around the big ball that we live on. And there are lots of other big balls that are all spinning around other big balls and all of this takes place in a really really big place with nothing in it called space. Well, that's an awfull lot of balls to consider.

Reactions: Johnny b
#79 ·
Terry Pratchet (as well as the turtles all the way down reference) gives a ton away.

Anna Nicole was a Levon Helm reference. Sorta bored here.

Thanks for the truthful response.

Reactions: RT
#82 · (Edited)
I know our world is flat, even thought it seems like a flat sphere..
Even in my workshop, when the scientific level tells me all is even,
every nail I drive, every screw I try to set skews off by varying degrees, proving that a gravitational IN-constant is at work.
Sometimes when the moon is right, gravitational flux can make you injure yourself as forces draw the hammer to your thumb or finger, resulting in an ancient chant and dance, calling upon various deities with various implications as to the ultimate destiny of your soul (and finger.)
Were the Earth round, every nail and screw would go in straight, esp towards the center mass of the planet., but not on the outer limits of a flat earth.

But they do not, suggesting the closer to the center of the planet's mass, the straighter the fasteners would fasten.
Being near the edge, gravity would attract the nails toward the center of gravity, causing misalignment, and would lessen as you neared the edge, perhaps causing nails and screws, bolts, and the like to be flung from the edge of the Earth, towards a stronger out side gravity field, over the edge, and can you couldn't do a damn thing about it.

On the other hand, 'tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools (or location)
:rolleyes: :D

#85 ·
The logic of flat earthers reminds me of a pot joke from years ago:

How many pancakes does it take to build a dog house?
None!
Alligators can't fly.

A winner :D
Spoken like a true 'stoner' !! LOL

#89 ·
#90 ·

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-to-blame-for-rise-in-flat-earthers-says-study/

Ignorance is not an opinion. Still say this coincides with the rise of Orange Mushroom. :LOL:
I have noticed the Google mechanism used for their search engine has degraded significantly over the last decade.
I suspect the searches have become weighted too much towards advertising revenue.

Often I have to clear my browser history when altering search terms or I get the same results. :down:

As to the reign of Trump....like the computer community has claimed for at least 50 years, garbage in, garbage out.

Ignorance is not an opinion.
Agree absolutely.
But (there's always a but :D ) it's is becoming a way of life :cool:

#92 ·
My dads sisters son is a flat earther; firmly believes Australia doesnt exist too. His mom (my aunt, but loopier than a corkscrew) passed recently and I got to meet him again. I made it almost five minutesbefore I had to leave. Just no talking to those folks.

What really sucks is he procreated and both his kids are very, very messed up.
Oh man it's really starting to hurt now.

My late father in law was nuttier that a fruit cake and .... geez I caught myself almost doing it again.
Not gunna go there. Just ain't a'gunna do it.

5 minutes would have been a record for me. I couldn't be in the same room as him. The air stunk.
Sorry... it got away on me again.

#95 ·
An interesting discussion about the mentality of flat earthers and their connection to other crackpot theories:

Earth is (always has been) round, so why have the flat-out wrong become so lively?

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...hats-inflated-flat-earth-believers-in-2019/2/

The anti-expert age is now in full swing. As Anne Applebaum succinctly put it in the Washington Post, "We live in an age that denigrates knowledge, dislikes expertise and demonizes experts." In his book The Death of Expertise, Tom Nichols adds: "Americans have reached a point where ignorance-at least regarding what is generally considered established knowledge in public policy-is seen as an actual virtue."

#97 ·
Rotational spin causes that; wider hips, narrower extremites. All celestial bodies have that.

Because they are ROUND.

10 gets you 1 a vast majority of flat earthers are anti vaxxers. Idiots to a point.

#99 ·
Well, geometry is geometry. ;)

No but seriously, as I am sure you know, it is just physics. Like a figure skating spin, or a gyroscope. Angular velocity does make the world go round, eh?

#100 ·
Ah! so that's why Doritos come in a (more or less) triangular shape!

It is said there's another thing that makes the world go "round," but it's not exactly physics, there are numerous reports...
the explatiation remains vague,
think they made some TV show or documentary about that sorta of phenomena ;)

#101 · (Edited)
Why are you making fun of flat earthers, they make the world go round (pun intended). It these extremes of mental deranged thinking that allow for snorts and giggles while standing in line at the DMV talking with the great unwashed mouth breathing Trump supporters. Understand, these people found high school to be a challenge.

#103 ·
#106 ·
Perhaps the flat earthers could explain why my pencil keeps rolling of my desk!....... and don't give me that blurb about things being level, if the earth is flat, surely everything in it must be flat: isn't that the same logic as flat earthier use?
It's the wind doin' it. Not earth type wind but hot air type coming outa some blowhard.

#107 ·
#108 ·
That eventuality was almost guaranteed.
I'd rather not have read about it.
I don't know how serious he really was about believing the Earth was flat, but he was a dreamer with a goal and he tried his best.

RIP, Daredevil Mike Hughes

#109 ·
Seemed a bit Quixotic to me plus a death wish, more than a dream. To each his own.

#111 ·
He surely won't be doing it again. His last splash at getting attention and he'll never know what ensued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.