Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit Goes Extinct In 2 Months

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 · (Edited)
The February 2019 "patch Tuesday" provided 12 security updates for Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit.

The April 2019 "patch Tuesday" will provide the last security updates for it.

Its last supported browser, Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR, ended all security updates in September 2018 and will not allow a newer version to be used.

I still run it for testing purposes and am finding more and more software apps dropping support for it.

As much as some of you may still love it, it's time to make the move to Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#2 ·
it's time to make the move to Windows 7 SP1
I doubt we will see the same "extended life span" after 7 goes end of life in Jan 2020

#7 · (Edited)
#6 ·
#9 ·
Well IMHO it is a drastic move to kick Windows into touch but of course the choice is yours
On a previous topic you posted
Eventually (Very soon),im going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to windows 10.So instead of buying a new laptop,im just going to upgrade the ram and hdd. Then update to 10.This hard drive probably wont last but another year or so.who knows.Might last another 5..lol. Still runs like ah dream.super slick.I would imagine windows 10 x64 should require at least 8gb? or no?.Just thinking ahead.
If you have never done that my advice would be to take advantage of the still free upgrade to 10 from 7 rather than waiting and then finding that you are stuck with Linux unless you BUY 10

#10 ·

If you have never done that my advice would be to take advantage of the still free upgrade to 10 from 7 rather than waiting and then finding that you are stuck with Linux unless you BUY 10
Good advice.
I'd add:
From a practical pov, make a drive image of your existing Win7 install if you haven't already, then upgrade to win 10.
Then make a drive image of win 10.
Now there are two MS options aside from a Linux solution.

If you then hate win10, you've got win7 to fall back on.
If you can't find a Linux distro you like by the time win7 goes EOL, you have a Win 10 drive image to fall back on.

Or you can simply use Puppy Linux and avoid all the pain :D
And I'd add, if one computer is good, more is better ;)

#12 ·
It all depends on how old your computer is and what hardware it has.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed and runs fine in my 2009-era Dell OptiPlex 780 minitower.
The only thing I did was add a supported graphic card to replace its Intel Q45 integrated graphic device.
It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, so it's fast enough for normal functions.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
If under powered hardware specs are a consideration, options change.
But Puppy Linux would remain one of them.

In the past, I usually kept a computer long enough that upgrading to a more powerful computer with the latest Win OS was better than upgrading slow equipment.

And being the cheap rascal I am ( :D ) I always keep an eye out for a deal and one usually pops up whether I need it or not :D

#14 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4043 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1797 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 449 GB (349 GB Free);
Motherboard: Intel Corp., Base Board Product Name
Antivirus: None

#15 ·
I've got 7 and 10 in a dual-boot but I use 7 nearly all the time.

This thread has made me ponder this some more though and I think I'll go for a 10 and Linux dual-boot when 7 stops being supported and in the meantime I suppose I should start using 10 more.

@snuffleufflegus, I think you could run 10 ok on that PC.

#16 ·
The March 2019 "patch Tuesday" provided 15 security updates for Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit.

Next month will be the last "patch Tuesday" for it and will bring an era to an end that ran for 17-1/2 years. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------

#17 ·
XP still has it's uses, just won't be safe for Internet usage.

I recently gave my sister an old Acer with xp that I bought new back in 2006.
I told her when she was done using it and had no need for it, I wanted it back :D
(She runs several old scientific programs that won't run on anything newer)

What will I do with it? I really don't know LOL! Maybe run old games?

#18 ·
The last batch of security updates for Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit was released on 04/09/2019.
The only known up-to-date browser that still supports it is Maxthon 5.2.7.2000.
There are no known up-to-date antivirus apps that still support it.
The very few up-to-date malware/spyware apps that still support it are dwindling fast.
It's no longer safe to use on-line, especially if you store sensitive information and/or do on-line banking, purchases, etc..

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.