Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dell 790 dt win 10 pro pci-e usb 3.0 needs power

380 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  lynx1021 
#1 ·
dell 790 dt win 10 pro pci-e usb 3.0 needs power. recently purchased a PCI Express 4 Port ( 4E ) USB 3.0 Adapter - With Low Profile Bracket - (NEC / Renesas uPD720201 chipset) from amazon that came with no cables. i have the appropriate pci slot for the card but have no where to get power from. the card has a molex connection. all my 3 sata’s are occupied.
i have hdd, ssd, and optical in the sata ports. power is jumped off the power supply. there are no pin connects on the pci-3 card. i can post a factory pic of my mother board if needed. thanks

#5 ·
Most of the stuff online about that type of card says it does need power connected to the molex socket.

I suspect it might work without it if you only connect one thing at a time to the Usb ports but I can't be sure, if you want to try it like that it would be at your own risk.

#6 ·
yes, it definitely requires power. some ‘descriptions’ describe a card similar running just off the pci-e slot but not this one. my issue is finding the power for it within the computer. all sata connections are full as well as the power supply jumper. power is my dilemma.

#10 · (Edited)
Are you saying your power supply doesn't have any Molex connectors? if it has at least one you could use a splitter. Networking cables Cable Electrical supply Wire Electrical wiring

Is yours the small form factor model? SFF?

#11 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.