Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardware reserved 8.1gb of ram

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I have just bought a new motherboard cpu and ram. I bought 16gb of ram and 8.1gb of it is reserved and I cannot use it.

#4 ·
No one [other than you] has any idea what you purchased. In order to help you, you need to post a LOT more info; exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

Next did you clean install windows OR did you attempt to use an existing windows install?

#5 ·
ok sorry. I have:
cpu - amd ryzen 2600
gpu - 1050ti
motherboard - MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX Motherboard
ram - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz
psu - thermaltake 700w
windows 10 education

I already had the computer running windows but upgraded the cpu, ram and motherboard, so it was exsisting windows install

#6 ·
OK, that is most likely your problem. You cannot take an existing windows install and swap the motherboard without following the procedure outlined at the top of the hw forum.
Right click start>run. Type in "msconfig" without quotes and hit enter. Click boot>advanced options and see if there is a check-mark in the max memory box. If so, remove it and restart.

#7 ·
BTW I checked the support page for your board. There are numerous bios updates that address memory issues. Are you running the latest bios?
In addition, some bios updates are only 10 days after the previous update. That in and of itself does NOT give me a good feeling about your board selection. Bios updates to support new processors are fine. Bios updates that keep trying to fix compatibility issues or other problems point at a design problem with the board that the mfg is trying to fix with an update.

Did you install all of the drivers for your hardware ie chipset, lan, sound, video?

#10 ·
Be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing utility. I never use msi boards however [I assume] there is a flashing utility built into the bios. I would use that rather than a windows based flash utility.

While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your board unbootable ie junk. Again be sure you fully understand the procedure used to flash the bios.

#12 ·
You are lucky you did not brick the board. Using a windows based utility to update a bios is taking a chance.
1 First be sure the ram you are using is on the approved list for your board
2 Be sure ram is installed IAW [in accordance with] how the board mfg says to install two ram chips ie you put them in the slots shown
3 Be sure ram is fully seated in the slot or slots
4 If all of the above fails, clean install windows, install latest drivers from the support page and NOT from any support disk you received with the board

If all of the above fails, your board is most likely defective. As I said in post #7, when you see bios updates 10 days apart, that points at a problematic motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.