Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD Passport Drive USB 3.0 Powered but Not Recognized

975 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  BML 
#1 ·
Another issue with the laptop: the Passport drive is not recognized in the USB 3.0 connector on this laptop, but it is on the 2.0 connector. The USB cable I am using is the one that came with it, it has the blue part and sticker that says 3.0.

I was able to put this drive onto the laptop in the 3.0 connector yesterday but not anymore. I tried disable and re-enable the USB Controller but that didn't work.

When I plug it into the 3.0 connector, it actually does get power to the drive - the light comes on and I can hear it spin, its just that Windows 10 won't see it.

#4 ·
Well that didn't work. I also tried plugging it into my desktop's 3.0 plug and it won't read there either....but it will on the 2.0. This WD drive has the original cable with the blue part in the connector, so its USB 3.0 (plus it says "SS" on the plug). Could the cable be bad? What else would make this not read in USB 3.0 connectors?

#6 ·
I just looked at an E5530 manual and it says these are USB 3.0 (gen 1). Here's a picture of the port. It is not blue, but it does say "SS" next to the USB symbol which can't be seen in this photo due to the angle. Part of the plug on the WD cable is blue though. I was using the center port in the picture which is labeled as "E-SATA/USB" as well. The port on the right is supposed to be USB 2.0 but if I plug it into there I get an error saying it can't supply as much power as the drive needs or something like that.

Attachments

#7 ·
My apologies, you're correct about the SS and those 2 ports are both Usb 3 going by this review :- https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-latitude-e5533
(I looked at a different review of the laptop and it only mentioned Usb 2; I think there are different versions).

Looking at your picture I think the plastic part inside the right hand port looks cracked, that could be part of the problem.
I think the centre port should work though.

#8 ·
Every time I plug something into that port on the right I get errors saying "unknown Usb device needs more power than the port can supply", even if I plug in the little receiver for the wireless mouse. ( and the laptop has a decent charge) And the center port won't read the Passport drive at all, but it will accept the wireless mouse usb receiver.

#10 ·
It's different if the port is eSATAp, which also connects to USB, it can supply 5 Volts but as noted at the link the power available from notebooks is limited :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

I suspect that is the problem and you need to find a way to get extra power to the external drive.

The Usb 2 port looks damaged and I think that's why you're having those problems with it.

#12 ·
Well, I purchased a new USB 3.0 to micro B cable from Amazon (Amazon Basics branded) and it works with no errors in that middle port. It also works on my desktop's 3.0 port as well as the USB 2.0 ports. The only one I still get an error is the port to the right in the photo above - USB 2.0 with a little piece that looks broken. The new cable worked in the 2 other USB 2.0 ports on the right side of the laptop though.

The WD-branded OEM cable was powering up but not seeing data in 3.0 ports. So I think it was the cable. And that one port on the laptop is probably bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.