Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fujitsu Siemens s6010 Acting weird after taking out battery

Solved 
333 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
In my retro laptop, a Fujitsu Siemens s6010 that dualboots windows 98 and windows XP as the default OS, I decided to take out the battery as it is god knows how old it was (proberly around 19 years old since it was made in year 2000) and I decided that the battery pack may be unsafe. (I bought the laptop off this guy on eBay) I also had the fear of the battery combusting under pressure. I proberly needed to replace the battery anyway because the battery only really lasted around half an hour to a hour before needing to connect it to a power supply.

So I put the laptop on a table (to avoid touching the exposed battery contacts) and plugged it in, bearing in mind that I had to buy a new laptop charger which doesn't look a official Fujitsu Siemens laptop charger, but it's compatable and works just fine. I decided to use the laptop this way until I got a new battery for it which I couldn't find one at that time.

So the laptop was able to power up and showed the POST test thing, then the motherboard beeped loudly 2-3 times and scared the life out of me (the motherboard beeped once when I put the laptop on standby and I expected it to!) and showed a couple of error message about date and time, (I hadn't switched on the laptop for a few months either) , I didnt read it properly because I was shocked that the laptop had beeped loudly unexpectably. Then the black dos like screen said "press f1 or F2 to set... something or other) so I pressed it.

Because I mentioned before that my laptop dual boots windows 98 and XP with XP being the default OS, it didn't give the option to choose my operating system like it normally does and went straight to windows XP, which booted really slowly, I never got onto windows XP because I was a bit scared of the power blowing out so I switched off the laptop by the power button and disconnected the supply once it was off.

See less See more
#3 ·
It is acting the way it is supposed to.
First if you removed the battery and did not keep the laptop plugged in, all the settings are lost. Hence, every time you turn it on, you'll get a message about entering setup. That's because the time and date will be wrong if not plugged in. My suggestion, keep it plugged in to avoid seeing that message.

#4 ·
Does that mean my hard drive has been deleted? So if I set the date and time and put the battery back or get a new one, it would work like it did before and stop beeping? Does that mean I will literally have to reinstall everything? It doesn't sound very stable if that happens...

Im still a beginners computer nerd but I love learning about computers :)
Are 19 year old batteries really that safe though?... I think a retro desktop would be better...

I have a desktop computer with XP on that my dad used to use but I don't think he would be happy if I added windows 98 on it, haha!

#7 ·
Chances are the small Cmos battery on the motherboard is worn out, if so it's the main big battery that preserves the Bios settings when the charger power lead is removed. So with no main battery or power lead connected the settings are 'forgotten'.

The fix is to replace the Cmos battery inside the laptop but that can be a difficult and fiddly job.
I would re-connect the main battery to solve the problem. Very little power is needed to keep the settings intact.

The hard drive contents won't be affected by the above problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.