Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New ram "not available"

673 views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire 4730z running on Windows Vista (32 bit)
I have installed a new 2 gig Ram chip to bring my total ram to 4gig (I have 2x2gig chips)
However when I check my system properties I see a message that says that my installed memory is 4 GB but only 2 GB is available.
Any ideas as to why this has happened?

Thanks
Johan

#2 ·
The Acer Aspire 4730Z supports a maximum of 4 GB(2 GB X 2) of DDR2 RAM.
If yours is running Windows Vista 32-bit, it'll make use of 3.00 - 3.50 GB of 4 GB of RAM, depending on how much is dedicated to its integrated graphic device.

If that Acer is able to load Windows Vista and has an active internet connection, do the following in it:
Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Hi Thanks for responding. Here's the text:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Starter, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2048 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 7 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (124 GB Free);
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 4730Z
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

#4 ·
A 32bit operating system can address 4gig of memory; that is ALL memory. This includes [however not limited to] video memory, memory on a controller card, ram memory, etc. It is normal for a 32bit system to show 2.5~3.25gig of ram.

Next are you sure the memory you installed is compatible with your system? How did you select this memory ie exact match of existing, from a config program, what?

#11 ·
Font Art Eyelash Brand Electric blue

According to your system properties window, your Acer does recognize 4 GB of RAM as being installed in it. (y)

Unfortunately, only 2 GB of it is being used by the Windows 7 Starter 32-bit operating system. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. Seems like I am stuck with 2GB RAM :(

Perhaps you can assist with another issue that I have. It's not hardware related and I have posted it in another part of the forum, but I am rather desperate for some assistance.

I need to find a certain website but the search criteria is deliberately incomplete. Here's what I have-
ete*.pro/i**ite/G**ONYYW
What can I do to find that site? Nothing that I have done has worked.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

#13 ·
Watch this Video please to confirm you installed the ram correctly :-

I'm confused by the advise you got for msconfig, the video posted by dlipman shows max ram checked but snuffleufflegus said it should be unchecked. Both can't be correct so which should it be ?

#19 ·
Since the info you posted in #3 shows

this suggests that perhaps one of the RAM slots is bad.

Try this: Remove all RAM sticks and place one you know is functional into the first slot on your motherboard. Boot your computer. If it starts without problems, you know that stick and that slot are good. Power down and move the stick to the next slot.

#20 ·
Since the info you posted in #3 shows

this suggests that perhaps one of the RAM slots is bad.

Try this: Remove all RAM sticks and place one you know is functional into the first slot on your motherboard. Boot your computer. If it starts without problems, you know that stick and that slot are good. Power down and move the stick to the next slot.
Thanks. I' will try that and let you know.

#25 ·
How much Ram is shown in the Bios ? (I think tapping the F2 key just after switching on will get into the Bios setup).
Also try setting the Bios to default values while you're in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.