Tech Support Guy banner

NCAA Basketball Thread

58K views 624 replies 15 participants last post by  ekim68 
#1 ·
Hey guys :)

The other thread expired, so I figured it was time to start a new one :)

Looking forward to this year's basketball season. UNC is ranked a lot higher than I was expecting this season :) Not expecting a repeat for a National Championship, but could definitely see them going deep in the Tournament :)

Let's get the discussion going :D

#8 ·
Yep, we'll go to a couple of games and I'll take some pics...The new place is on the other side of the campus and it's gonna be huge....Not so much for crowd size, that's only going up a couple of thousand, but place looks like a destination point...:cool:

#18 ·
The thought of a new arena is exciting, but it is always hard to say goodbye to the old one - far too much history and memories. I grew up near Arizona State, graduated from Oregon State (in the glory days of AC Green - yes I am really old) and am now in Big 12 country (have been for over 10 years). I always cheer for Big 12 and PAC 10 teams (well most of them and Oregon is one of the good guys in my book - good luck this year :))

#20 ·
The name sounds familiar. I think Charlie Sitton was at OU before I moved back to PAC 10 country (from a very short stay on the east coast) and started attending OSU.

Do you remember the University of Washington star Detlef Schrempf? It seemed like OSU and UW were always fighting for the top spot in the PAC 10 and AC Green was the star for OSU and Detlef Schrempf was the star for UW. That was in the mid-80s.

#21 ·
Ok you got me started OldRS....I was at an Oregon game back in the early 80's and it was against Washington with Detlef Schrempf and Dennis Brown. Detlef just killed us with his up tempo game. Dennis was an all Pac10 defensive tackle for the Huskies who played basketball, too. We lost that game but watched the beginning of a career for Detlef, who went on to play for the NBA for 15 years...We should enjoy the good days when we can...:up: ;)

#22 ·
I graduated from OSU in 86. I was not able to attend any of the games in person (started our family and was living on a shoe string budget), but enjoyed following and reading about the Beavers (we did not have any Football team to speak of).

I believe AC Green had a very long NBA career (16 seasons) and "played in more consecutive games than any other player in NBA and ABA history (1,192)" [Wikipedia]. I also followed him when he was on the Phoenix Suns (I was never really a Lakers fan).

#24 ·
I helped my wife finish college and spent many years working at different jobs and working my way through college, I am a lot older than it looks. I did not finish college until almost ten years after High School (graduated from HS at 16) I am about to hit the half century mark.

#25 ·
#26 ·
KU will have an interesting match up tomorrow night. Per ESPN, "KU will play Memphis in an in-name-only rematch of the 2008 national title game. This time the teams will meet up in St. Louis (ESPN, 10 p.m. ET) as part of the Hall of Fame Showcase. One player to keep a particular eye on is Xavier Henry, the freshman who scored 27 points in his debut Friday. He originally signed with Memphis but was let out of his letter of intent when John Calipari bolted for Kentucky"

Henry looked very good on Friday, but he is not the only talented freshman at KU. And you have the Collins-Aldrich tandem to keep some experience on the floor. Should be a good game and an early test for KU. I expect Memphis will come ready to make up for the 2008 loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.