Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet constantly disconnects. Detailed post. Please help.

872 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
So my internet has been on and off disconnecting since October. Every now and then it'll disconnect for commonly 1-10 seconds but also up to 60 seconds some times. Obviously, this is really annoying and I haven't been able to enjoy my online activity as such and I hope someone can help me diagnose the issue.

This is assumed to have started happening after my family upgraded from 25mbp/s internet to 75mbp/s.

First off, my symptoms:

It'll not happen weeks at a time and then start up again, I had a week where I was non-stop d/cing and also days here and there where every 10 minutes I would d/c.

I think I've tried virtually everything to fix so that's why I'm now consulting r/techsupport for some more advanced solutions.

Also I've noticed when my internet disconnects my CPU and GPU also spike down, but I think this is due to me playing youtube videos and streams, and since it doesn't have to process those then it obviously uses less processing power.

What I've done:

Call my ISP, this was in November. And he said we had millions of CRC errors so he did a lot of rewiring, changed our internet into separate 5G and 2.4G networks, and got us a new router.

However, the issue persisted. But due to the CRC errors we determined it's a physical issue.

Replaced the switch

Tried some different ethernet cords (although they aren't new)

Clear viruses (later guessed it could be a bitminer virus sending information which could overload my network and cause disconnects)

Wiped my hard drive and reformatted many times to be sure of no viruses. (although I only used the "quick reset" function from windows which didn't 100% clean my drive, just remove files.)

Many tests to try to determine the issue

And none of these worked.

Some observations from rigorous testing we've done:

It could be an issue solely with my computer somehow. I've been running pingtests using cmd on google.com throughout the nights to monitor how frequent I disconnect. Usually its fine, I lose 10-25 packets a night which is more or less normal. But then some nights I lose 2000 packets usually in a streak of a hundred or so.

Then just today I was gone for 24+ hours so I left a pingtest on, came home, saw nothing out of the ordinary (25 packets lost and 70000 sent) and within 15 minutes my internet crashed for a minute.

Due to this I am assuming it's due to my system somehow. It's also worth noting that when we replaced the switch, the old one would go crazy (all lights flickering on and off) immediately after connecting my system, and it would be fine with me disconnected. The router would then be in a "troubled" state (disconnecting randomly still) until reset and then fixed until my system would connect.

Our initial assumption was the old switch did this because my system is the only one in the house on windows 10 and somehow perhaps newer software affected it.

Our new switch has not done this in any way.

Also, when we reset the router right after a disconnect, the disconnects still continue about 10 minutes after the router is all rebooted.

Things left that may be a possible fix:

Replace ALL wiring within the house (unlikely since it is likely an issue with my specific system)

Could be my Network Interface Card jabbering, or old, but I also don't think this could be the case because my fathers systems from the 90's don't disconnect the internet with their old Motherboards.

Call the ISP again after all this data has been acquired over half a year and see if the technician can figure anything out.

After talking to a friend with a similar issue, he replaced the modem and it fixed it for him. (But again I am skeptical on this as it seems to be an issue with my system.)

Reset my BIOS by taking out the coin battery and re-placing it back in.

At this point I am at a loss and would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
I'm not entirely sure why we use a switch. However, since we initially thought the switch was the problem we bought a new one to use and I can only assume the reason is that my dad has many systems within the house that he needs connected to the internet, and we used to use a hub but it was very old so now we just use the switch.
And during one of our rigorous tests, I forgot to mention this in my post, but the issue could also somehow be related to windows 10? Unlikely but a correlation that I found was when we were hooking up my system to the switch and it went crazy, we also hooked up my laptop (which is basically factory new with nothing malicious at all) and the switch immediately went crazy.
Thanks for the reply.

#7 ·
Hi,
I'm not entirely sure why we use a switch. However, since we initially thought the switch was the problem we bought a new one to use and I can only assume the reason is that my dad has many systems within the house that he needs connected to the internet, and we used to use a hub but it was very old so now we just use the switch.
And during one of our rigorous tests, I forgot to mention this in my post, but the issue could also somehow be related to windows 10? Unlikely but a correlation that I found was when we were hooking up my system to the switch and it went crazy, we also hooked up my laptop (which is basically factory new with nothing malicious at all) and the switch immediately went crazy.
Thanks for the reply.
Try connecting your computer directly to the router or MODEM using a cable. and what about your fathers computer?? is it working fine(If working.what is the OS he uses?)is it connected to the router via switch?? and which switch going crazy when connecting your laptop or desktop(Old switch or the new one)

#4 ·
Am I correct that the PC in question is connected via ethernet through a switch to the router and you suspect that it is disconnecting from (and automatically reconnecting to) the router, but you have not yet verified this?

If so, my suggestions are
a. make sure you have the latest correct (not whatever Windows decides to install) chipset and ethernet drivers;
b. confirm whether the PC is, or is not, disconnecting from the router;
c. try a different connection (e.g., use a USB ethernet or wireless adapter for a test).

#5 ·
I have no clue what CRC errors are and I worked in the internet service industry.... Last time I had to use the word CRC is for failing hard drives.

What is your current setup (make and models of devices)? Also to confirm, you are going from Modem to switch to computers? If so, have you tried your computer direct to the modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.