Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - 1 output to 2 monitors?

8K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
Can I get my graphics card to control 2 monitors if there is only 1 output. My 1060 only has one regular output coming from it. (so, no HDMI or anything like that).
Can I get some sort of splitter for it and have it control 2 monitors, so I can put a pdf up on one monitor and have the other monitor show Blender (a 3D character or image creator and animator).
I am working with limited space, so the 2nd monitor will take up room, but I don't want to buy another monitor just for this.

Anyway, would it display the pdf on one monitor and the other have the program running or would it do something different that would not help me. I want to be able to follow the pdf while working in the program.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16330 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 487526 MB, Free - 114557 MB; D: Total - 1430346 MB, Free - 1034389 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 937378 MB; G: Total - 7630755 MB, Free - 3645540 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

See less See more
#4 ·
I want different displays on each screen. So a splitter will not work. Would the USB adapter do that or is it the same situation (same output on each screen).

(if I can get an adapter to work i will do that, if not, maybe I will get some Walmart widescreen or something along those lines)
By adjusting the window size I should be able to display both pdf and program simultaneously and in a size I can see and read. Correct?

again, I would rather go the cheapest route so if an adapter would work, that is how I want to do it

#5 ·
Yes, the USB-to-"whatever" adapters allow you to attach another monitor to it and display a different screen. My wife has three external monitors connected to her HP laptop. One is connected directly to the DisplayPort on the laptop, one to a USB-to-VGA adapter and another to a USB-to-HDMI adapter. And she uses all four screens, (the three mentioned above plus her laptop screen) to display different screens. She simply slides whatever window she wants from one screen to the another back and forth across in front of her. BTW, those two monitors connected to USB-to-"whatever" adapters are actually connected through a powered USB hub. It works great for her, (work-related stuff).

PS - I seriously doubt this will work for any intensive fast action games you see kids playing these days. The USB bus isn't wide/fast enough, and the computer is having to use the CPU and RAM to display the video.

#6 ·
Thanks for helping out.

The last game I bought was Battlefield V and before that COD WW2. I love WWII games, I just like that period of history.

I hardly ever play, it has been at least 4 months since I played last. I tend to binge game, hot and heavy for a month, than I realize I am wasting too much time, then not gaming for awhile.

Could I just unplug one of the monitors when I played it or use some other sort of workaround?
(oh, do I need to add any additional drivers or anything to run 2 screens)
If I do need software, I could probably just disable the 2nd screen that way.

I have been eyeballing this unit here but much prefer to do it the least expensive way.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-EB1-31-5-Monitor-Full-HD-1920-x-1080-60-Hz-Refurbished/440658709

Thanks for helping and let me know about the disabling part (if you have time or know)

.......Edit..........
I may not be understanding this properly.

I don't have a USB on my nvidia card, do these plug directly into a USB port and will display that way. (if that is correct I won't need a workaround, I can just unplug it.

That is super simple, which is the way I like it.

#8 · (Edited)
That is the perfect fix. Thanks.

and NewEgg has much better brands too (at least better known, or better advertised)

Is there a big difference in quality between brands? (sorry, never mind if that is a huge/controversial question)

Also, which sort of plugin would be best for doing 3D modeling. (pic below)
I will see which monitor has the best specs and use it. So I assume, I would hook the best monitor to the nVidia card and use the adapter on the other.

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

OK, so it looks like DVI (white) is what I want.
Thanks

Attachments

#9 ·
Yep, DVI is much better than VGA. Hook whichever monitor you want to use for intense stuff direct to the video card, then the other to the USB-to-"whatever" adapter.

BTW, are you sure you can't use both of the above connectors in your pic at the same time ... to two different monitors?

#10 ·
What I thought I would do is connect USB to VGA (it is cheaper) to the lower spec monitor and connect nVidia graphics card to the DVI monitor. Unless that won't work, then I will do it some other way.

I also asked this question on USB 3 hubs, if you are interested. (since it sort of switched topics I created a new thread for future searchers on the board) I am not sure if that is the best idea or not but I wanted to be polite to future searchers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-3-hubs-degradation-question.1224559/

It is just about performance degradation if I hook up a Hub to one of my 2 USB 3 outputs.
I have an old Asus mobo, I got it when USB was just coming out, if I remember correctly. I had to upgrade firmware to get it to work.

#12 ·
@tonyacardo

Quick question, what modern day desktop GPU doesn't have multiple outputs? I have that exact gpu by EVGA, the Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. it has 5 ports on the back and can probably output to 4 at once. I've done 3 monitors on it at once. There are 3 DP, 1 HDMI, and 1 DVI-D.

https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/14-487-275-02.jpg

Product page; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487275

BTW, you can get DisplayPort (DP) cables that'll connect to monitors with HDMI and possibly DVI and HDMI to DVI cables. I would avoid VGA where possible as the other signals would generally be cleaner in terms of quality. I say that as I do indeed have a VGA monitor connected to a DP port via an active adaptor. XD

Do you mind posting an image of yours for comparison?

#19 · (Edited)
OK, I got the adapter and could not get it to work, it turns out that Asus won't recognize the storage in the adapter, so you need to either download the drivers or go into Disk Management, name the adapter with a letter (which has storage for the driver) and run that.

then it works fine. Just Great as a matter of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.