Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphics Card or Power Supply?

286 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
My computer only connects to the screen sometimes.

I just put all the hardware from and older tower case into a new one. I connected it to a monitor via HDMI and everything seemed fine at first. I reformatted the operating system from windows vista to windows 10 and everything was in working order. Then one day I started up my computer as usual (it had been working normally for about a week to two weeks now) and the monitor went to sleep like the computer wasn’t on. I thought it might be an issue with the cord or monitor so I switched out the HDMI cord and made sure that the monitor/cord worked with another computer (in this case my girlfriend’s laptop) and they worked fine. Upon reconnecting it to my computer nothing changed. I tried going through a lot of forum posts (I cleaned my ram sticks, tried booting with only one stick in different slots, cleaned my graphics card and tried plugging and unplugging everything. Nothing worked so after troubleshooting for about 4 hours I switched off the PC with the switch on the power supply and let it sit overnight until my friend who is a bit more experienced with computers came over to look at it. We switched it back on and it booted like nothing was wrong and it ran perfectly as far as we could tell. I thought it might be a driver issue because of the reformatting so I updated my nvidia drivers and left it at that. It’s been a reoccurring problem since then, sometimes I turn off my computer or the power accidentally gets unplugged and it does it all over again. The only solution I’ve found is to switch the computer off on the power supply and let it rest for a time then switch back on.

I’d really like to know why this is happening so I can find a more long term solution. Thanks

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz

Installed Ram: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Operating system:
Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1809

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want help here from the hardware/system builder experts, they need to know more about your computer, other than it has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 processor and 8 GB of RAM.

What's the description of the motherboard, graphic card, and power supply?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.