Status
Not open for further replies.

File Explorer Questions

Solved 
2K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  iMacg3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a desktop pc with Windows 10.

It seems I may have made some mistakes. I do not know how to fix these errors myself so I am asking this forum for help. I am wondering if anything on my computer got corrupted.

I was using the software Explorer +++ and decided to use file explorer instead. When I removed Explorer +++ from my computer by deleting the file explorer +++ .exe file the following items in this post are happening when I try to open file explorer and use it. Please tell me what I need to do to prevent these errors from happening.
I am unable to open files under the folder option. I am able to open files when I click on any option on the left side options.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system Parallel

When I click on any of the icons under the folder option the following shows

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Logo

When I click on the control panel icon I have in my task bar the following shows please tell me what this means

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Please tell me what I need to do to be able to use the icons under the folder option in file explorer.

Please let me know if I need to change any defaults to file explorer and if so how do I do so?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since my previous post I have found more errors that may or may not have to do with my original questions in Post #1. I still have the issues that are in Post #1.

Sorry I do not remember the exact steps I took to get to the following. The first option in file explorer I chose was option and somehow I got to the storage setting and the following showed.

Terrestrial plant Font Darkness Science Slope

Then I clicked on the Manage Storage option and I got the following pop up

Green Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology

I do not know what that means.

It seems I have more errors in file explorer than I am aware of.

Please tell me how to fix these errors.

Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
I have a desktop pc with Windows 10.
according to your fist attached image the OS is Windows 8 not 10

On 10 there is File Explorer - previously called Explorer on 7

I am completely unsure from your post which File or to make it easier Windows Explorer you were using - the included one or some third party one.

I am also unsure as to from where you deleted it

The first question is - is it still in the recycle bin

The second point to make is that the common location for the file is in C windows
However there is a backup file in WinSxS

See my screenshot please
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

The top half of the attached screenshot shows the explorer application file in WinSxS
The lower one shows it again in Windows.

So the usual one is C:\Windows
and the spare copy is
C:\Windows\WinSxS

you simply copy the Explorer from WinSxS to Windows
If you need further help - post the query please

#5 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 5310 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7560D, 768 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 873 GB (630 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO,
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

This is where I got Explorer++from. I thought it was called Explorer+++ but it has only two pluses not three pluses. It is a third party utility. This was downloaded as an .exe file. I thought that I had remove this file when I put the .exe file into the recycle bin and then emptied the recycle bin.

The first question is - is it still in the recycle bin
No it is not still in the recycle bin.

When I click on any of these Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Machine
that is when I get this pop up

Any item I click on that is NOT on the left side options in file explorer I get an error. The error messages happened once I thought I had removed Explorer++. I am wondering why I get these errors and how to fix them so I am able to use all the icons in file explorer.

I found the WinSxs file. I did not know this file existed until you posted it.

you simply copy the Explorer from WinSxS to Windows
If you need further help - post the query please
Please tell me how to do the copying.

Thanks.

#4 ·
As you have recently visited your topic -a reply from you would be appreciated

#6 · (Edited)
I do not really know what has gone wrong - but I see on the notes for the software you downloaded it says
Important: If Explorer++ is set as the default file manager, make sure you select "Don't replace Explorer" before you delete the application.
I think I read that as
before you delete the Explorer you downloaded you must ensure you set it to not replace Explorer - referring to the Windows File explorer.

Do you have Explorer in C:\Windows as per my screenshot

If YOU DO NOT have explorer in the Windows directory the see screenshot to copy
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

#7 ·
Important: If Explorer++ is set as the default file manager, make sure you select "Don't replace Explorer" before you delete the application.

I thought that I would be shown an option to Don't replace Explorer before I removed Explorer but I was not shown that option.
I made a mistake and did not do the above before I deleted the application. Since I did not do that I am wondering if that is why I have the current problems with Windows file explorer. If that is why the problems are happening what can I do to fix them if anything?

If I should still try copying explorer.exe from WinSxs
these are the options I have for explorer.exe in WinSxs. Please tell me which one I should use since I do not know. I do not know why I have more than one file that says explorer.exe

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Thanks.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I know this screen shot says Windows 8 but I do have Windows 10. This pc came with Windows 8 and I installed Windows 10 onto it.

Here is what I found in Windows C: for file explorer.
I thought that I removed Explorer++ but perhaps I did not remove it since it still shows on this list. How do I know if Explorer++ is removed or not?

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

If Explorer++ is still on this pc how do I remove it and make sure that the default is changed to Windows file explorer before removing Explorer++ ?

When I do Windows key +S and search for Explorer++ it shows under folders.

Thanks.

#10 ·
I know I said at first that we probably needed the backup windows file explorer - called Explorer from WinSxS
However I have decided that is not the way to go about solving the problem as the Explorer++ does not replace the Windows Explorer files it simply changes a registry key to make Explorer++ the default File Explorer

You need to do this
Redownload Explorer++ and put it in the original folder you had it in.

Then open it and go to Tools - Options. In the "General" Tab, the second box down is entitled "Default File Manager"; Tap where it says "Don't Replace Explorer", click "Apply" and then "Ok".

You should now be able to remove Explorer++ with no trouble.

There's no Uninstaller for Explorer++ as it's just an executable programme - it doesn't install any extra files to the system. It does however edit the Registry when you request it to "Replace Explorer" - reverting this to "Don't Replace Explorer" should restore the registry and the default Windows Explorer process.

For your future information when installing software from third parties always read fully the files with it - the help, installation etc, before installing it.
and always set a restore point BEFORE installing it.

#11 ·
I reinstalled Explorer++ Opened it went to options clicked on the don't replace option and apply and ok like you told me in Post #10. After I reinstalled I put the explorer++ .exe files into the recycle bin and emptied the recycle bin. I restarted the pc and I did a search this pc to see if Explorer++ was removed and the following showed.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

Perhaps I did not remove the Explorer .exe files correctly. I thought that putting the Explorer .exe files into the recycle bin and then emptying the recycle bin would remove those files. They are still showing.

What if anything did I do wrong?

Thanks.

#12 ·
The 1000$ question is does the included windows file explorer now work

#13 ·
Windows file explorer does not work. I have the same issue now as I did when I started this post. I am getting the same pop up that I posted in Post #1.

Maybe this is a separate issue that I asked in Post #1 when I click on the Control Panel icon I have in my task bar I get the following.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Since I do not know what that error means I am unable to open and use control panel. This pop up started showing when I started to have the issues with file explorer so perhaps they are related to each other.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks.

#14 ·
Hi,

It sounds like there may be a trace of Explorer++ left in the Registry.

Click the Start button and type Command Prompt. Right-click on the "Command Prompt" result and select Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt, copy and paste the following and press Enter.

reg query "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" /s

Copy and paste the output into your reply.

#15 ·
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.648]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" /s
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
(Default) REG_SZ openinexplorer++
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore
LaunchExplorerFlags REG_DWORD 0x18
MultiSelectModel REG_SZ Document
ProgrammaticAccessOnly REG_SZ
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command
DelegateExecute REG_SZ {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command
(Default) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\openinexplorer++
(Default) REG_SZ Open In Explorer++
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\openinexplorer++\command
(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Users\Ryan\Downloads\explorer++_1.3.5_x64\Explorer++.exe" "%1"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewprocess
ExplorerHost REG_SZ {ceff45ee-c862-41de-aee2-a022c81eda92}
Extended REG_SZ
LaunchExplorerFlags REG_DWORD 0x3
MUIVerb REG_SZ @shell32.dll,-8518
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewprocess\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewtab
LaunchExplorerFlags REG_DWORD 0x21
MUIVerb REG_SZ @windows.storage.dll,-8519
OnlyInBrowserWindow REG_SZ
OnlyInTabWindow REG_SZ
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewtab\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewwindow
LaunchExplorerFlags REG_DWORD 0x1
MUIVerb REG_SZ @windows.storage.dll,-8517
OnlyInBrowserWindow REG_SZ
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewwindow\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\pintohome
AppliesTo REG_SZ System.ParsingName:<>"::{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}" AND System.ParsingName:<>"::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}" AND System.IsFolder:=System.StructuredQueryType.Boolean#True
MUIVerb REG_SZ @shell32.dll,-51377
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\pintohome\command
DelegateExecute REG_SZ {b455f46e-e4af-4035-b0a4-cf18d2f6f28e}
C:\WINDOWS\system32>

For your information I do not know what any of the command prompt means.

#16 · (Edited)
Hi,

Before we continue making any changes to your machine, we need to back up your current registry configuration.

Tweaking.com Registry Backup
  • Download Tweaking.com Registry Backup from here, and save tweaking.com_registry_backup_portable.zip to your desktop.
  • Now we need to create a new folder to extract the zipped contents into. Right click on the zipped folder you just downloaded and select "Extract All".
  • Click the "Browse" button and from the list, expand "Computer", then expand "Windows (C: )", and click the "Make New Folder" button.
  • Call this folder something you will remember...like "RegBackup" then click "Ok", and then click "Extract".
  • From the newly extracted files, right click on the TweakingRegistryBackup icon and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Tweaking.com Registry Backup.
  • When the tool opens, type a custom name in Backup Name if you want, then choose Backup Now.
  • If backup is successful, a message will appear at the lower half of the screen with an option to view logs.
  • The registry backup will be created in %WindowsDrive%\RegBackup by default. You can customize the path in Settings.
  • Close Tweaking.com Registry Backup when done.

-------------------------

Open Notepad, and copy the contents of the below code box to the new file. Make sure to exclude the word "Code:"

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@=""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\openinexplorer++]
Click on File > Save. Select the File Type as All Files *.* and the File Name as fixme.reg

Save the file to your Desktop. Double-click on it and allow the information to merge with the registry.

Restart the computer and let me know if the problem persists.

#20 · (Edited)
I did not see the change to Post #16 until after I clicked on the OK on the ERUNT . That seemed to have worked. I am able to now use file explorer and the control panel icon on my taskbar without the errors that I put in Post #1.

If you think I should still run the tweaking.com tool please let me know. Maybe it is too late to do so.

Before we continue making any changes to your machine, we need to back up your current registry configuration.
I do not know if my registry was backed up or how to check if it was or was not backed up.
Please tell me how to check if my registry configuration got backed up and how long I need to keep it.

Also do I need to keep the fixme.reg that is currently on my desktop? If so which file should I put it in? How long should I save it?

Thanks.

#17 ·
I have not used ERUNT before. I followed the instructions in Post #16 and the following appeared. I do not know if this is an error or if this is what is suppose to happen. If it is an error please tell me what I need to do.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number

Since posting this I have not click OK or X waiting to find out what I need to do.

Thanks.

#18 ·
You are in good hands here with my colleague, who is far more experienced with registry edits than I am
Do not worry either the reg edits will solve it
OR we can proceed to other possible solutions including - as a last resort a repair install of windows
That is NOT the reset but a repair install that should leave all your data, and apps intact
It is done from within windows, not by booting from the install media

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.