Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows directory folder sorting / folder display

318 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  10GbFibre 
#1 ·
Hi,

My problem is very specific. When searching and displaying 3000 folders in Windows 10 File explorer, or Saving Microsoft 360 Word / Excel docs to that same directory on my NAS network drive - the time it takes for this is too long. Admittedly yes it is a NAS network drive however there is a very important consideration here and that is that there is one other PC which is using the same NAS and there is no delay on that other PC when doing the above tasks - put simply on that other PC everything is instantaneous.

Differences between pc's

1. Mine - Windows 10 home retail, Ryzen 3 1300x 8GB ram. Current SSD 860 evo. All firmware updated everywhere. Build is no longer than 12 months old

2. Other - Windows 10 Home oem, Intel 8th Gen i5, 8GB Ram. Current SSD 850 Evo. All firmware updated everywhere. Build is no longer than 2 months old.

Mine is still a recent generation CPU so im not sure what the actual problem is here.

Before anyone responds with 'try setting folder display settings to general items' - i have set it to show that already. I have also explored the indexing settings and rebuilt my index (although i cant rebuild a NAS index i believe as its not on any local drives).

I have also installed a fresh clean copy of windows 10 retail on a new SSD thinking it is the SSD or even Windows having a corrupted index, virus etc. Still same problem. I have even taken the fresh copy out and put it into the other pc to use its hardware and booted from it - Still same problem.

I have also tried the auto tuning disable / enable as suggested on Microsoft community.

Thanks in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8127 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (417 GB Free); D: 298 GB (56 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME B350-PLUS
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to compare the Network cards in each machine. Older "Fast Ethernet" maxed out at 100 Mbps of data transmission speed whereas today's Gigabit Ethernet offers up to 1 Gbps. Of course for everything on the network to be able to deliver GbE speeds will require ALL of the connected hardware, including PCs, routers, switches, cables etc. to be capable of handling GbE speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.