Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is Defender AV adequate?

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Johnny b 
#1 ·
We have both W7 and W10 laptops and towers, all x64, on fibre internet via wifi in the house.

What's the general opinion here, is Defender AV sufficient?

We do monthly scans with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.

#2 ·
In most cases yes.
The real problem is that a lot of the 3rd party protection programs can not keep up to date with the Windows changes done by Microsoft.

Microsoft has been doing a better job of getting things to work in house before releasing to the OEM's and then to us, the users.

#6 ·
MSE works well for me in Windows 7 although I have to update it manually if I want the very latest definitions.

I also have Malwarebytes Premium but you can get the free version if you don't want real-time protection and do manual scans with that.

#7 ·
To date, I've been using free Avast by itself with monthly scans of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and they never find any nasties which indicates Avast is doing a good job.

A number of years ago a CryptoLock virus got to the PC of my sister's X via email and McAfee didn't stop it from infecting the PC.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Actually I think viruses created by av firms are a myth. We now live in a century where nearly all homes have a computer. And kids have been raised by cartoons depicting hacking as a hero thing - hacking into the villian's computer. Some kids view hacking as an evil thing which you can do without being caught. Some view it as a harmless prank. And this generation of kids/teens are tech-savvy.

#11 ·
I wasn't insinuating that AV vendors are writing the viruses.

Same as with scam phone calls, there are folk who love to be malicious. I'm merely saying if folk weren't annoying the world's IT with these nasties, there'd no earnings for the AV vendors.

If PCs hadn't caught on, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates may not have earned their billions.

Company - a person or group of people who provide a product or service in exchange for a sum of money.
No sale of product/service, no business.

#12 ·
It's not a perfect world.

If there were no criminals, there would be no crime.
But I'm pretty sure someone would get around to inventing it, eventually. :D

If there were no roads, there would be no need for cars.
Illogical "If" game.

The need for cars is derived from a need for better transportation. Roads facilitate transportation.

The rise of the PC came from a need for better, faster computing, and eventually a social tool.
The rise of malware came from the 'want' to generate wealth in a manner determined to be illegal. A 'not a perfect world' reality.

Jobs and Gates became wealthy by promoting and advancing computer technologies. They didn't get rich from PCs becoming popular, they became wealthy because they were involved in making PCs popular and useful.

I found MSE to be an adequate AV on Win 7.
I still have uses for Win7, offline.
But for the Internet, I use a distro of Linux exclusively.
No Win 10 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.