Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asrock B450M Steel Legend Lan not working right post-sleep

5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having. I just built my first PC, specs below, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Surprisingly, everything has gone amazingly well! The system is stable after some brief benchmarking, I've played some games on it, temperatures look great!

Except for one thing: Whenever my PC goes into sleep mode, I have a rough time connecting to the websites when it wakes up. This also happens if I restart the computer, but not if I power off and then turn it back on (Edit: Sometimes it happens when I power on). When it works, it works very well for an unlimited amount of time so long as I don't interrupt the pc by turning it off, putting it to sleep, or resetting it! But after waking form sleep it's like it only half connects to web pages. It might connect but elements won't load. Or it might not connect at all and the page just times out.

It's only happening on this PC and it's happening in all web browsers I've tried (Edge, Chrome, Firefox). If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it! Please remember that I really don't know what I'm doing as I have no mentor to help me and so have had to jump into this by myself.

Some things I've tried:

• I've gone into the settings in the device manager and set the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller to not turn off the device to save power.
  • in Networking, I've selected change adapter settings, right clicked on the ethernet adapter (only one in there), and set the IPV4 (TCP/IPv4) properties to use the preferred and alternate DNS settings to Open DNS's values.
  • When I right click my adapter and select diagnose, what it returns is "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding", both before and after changing my DNS settings from Auto to Open DNS.
PC SPECS:

Operating System

• Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM

• 8.00GB Dual-Channel @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard

• ASRock B450M Steel Legend (AM4)
Graphics

• K242HQL (1920x1080@59Hz)
  • 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Gigabyte)
Storage

• 465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50 SATA (SSD))
  • 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA )
Optical Drives

• HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio

• Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Source

• Seasonic S12III 650 SSR-650GB3 650W 80+ Bronze

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you using the lan driver from the asrock support page or a native windows driver?

When you install windows, it is best done in the following order;
1 Install operating system
2 Install chipset/motherboard driver
3 Install sound, nic/lan driver
4 Install video driver [download from the amd site]
4 Install any utilities you need ie ccleaner, irfanview, etc

Failure to install in the above order can result in drivers not config correctly.

#3 ·
hoo boy. WHELP!

I didn't do basically any of that.

I put everything together, installed the OS, popped the cd that came with my motherboard into the tray, and it did all the things. As far as I can see, there is no chipset driver on Asrock's site for the board's software. The sound works fine thus far and so unless you think it's important I'm hesitant to mess with it. The video driver I actually did handle via the dvd that came with my gpu and then further updates via the Radeon program. I do have Ccleaner though! Partial credit, right!?

What I've done is uninstalled the LAN driver that was packaged with my board on the cd and let Windows reinstall it on setup. I then updated it via windows and, fingers crossed, so far it appears to be working. I was able to find instructions to do this from another kind soul on the Asrock forum and he told me that it's usually not a good idea to use the packaged software. That seems really counter intuitive to me but so far the results are clear that Windows' driver worked, the one supplied by Asrock on their CD AND their Steel Legend M driver page does not.

#5 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.