Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost internet/WiFi connection & says it does not exist.

Solved 
1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  lunarlander 
#1 ·
I’m not able to use my computer because on Friday while my son was playing his game, the computer out of the blue shut down & restarted but when it came back on it said that it could not connect to the internet, so I went to settings & networking my router didn’t even show up or register where it was suppose to. I went to network properties & it gave me all the information & towards the bottom after it said att was the carrier it said that the connectivity was disconnected & that’s my problem & question bc I don’t know how or why it happened & I really would like for someone to help me figure it out. I reset my router turned the computer off & on again & still nothing. I can get internet/WiFi on all of my other devices just not on my computer. Please help me I would greatly appreciate it. It is a Dell that runs Windows 10 pro. Thank you for your time & I hope to hear back from you soon. Thanks Kristina

#3 ·
No sir it's a PC Optiplex 760 & I have an Ethernet cable cord plugged into the back of it & I even replaced it with a new one but it's still not reading anything or working. & plus all of my main security has been turned off & it won't let me turn it back on or have access to it. In the Network and sharing Center. The basic network information and set up connections it says unknown, the dependency service or group failed to start. What does that even mean? I just want to figure out how it's possible that it's working fine one min with everything working including the internet & next thing I know boom computer turns off then comes back on & then nothing. No access to anything & the whole internet connection is gone? It really frustrating that this doesn't make sense of how this has happened & why & I really want to learn how we can fix this. Thank you for your time & patience with me. Kristina

#5 ·
all of my main security has been turned off & it won't let me turn it back on or have access to it.
What security do you use?

the dependency service or group failed to start.
That is a Service that didn't start. If you can get the name of that service, find it in 'services.msc' ; right click on Properties > Dependency tab; and it will show you what other service needs to be running before this one can run.

#6 ·
What is the serial tag? If you are not able to see it, go to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and it will show your 7 digit serial tag.

The IP address shown means that the connectivity to the router is there, it's just not talking or the network card is not responding.

#10 ·
I meant there was a physical connection. The reason for the 169.254.x.x is that the computer is not communicating with the DHCP part of the router. (or vice versa)

I missed the firewall part. Kristina - do you have any other software like Norton or McAfee installed? Windows Firewall should be able to do those settings if your login has admin rights.

#8 ·
Blue Rectangle World Font Display device
What security do you use?
The security I am talking about that has been disabled & won't let me fix it at all is the Windows Defender Firewall. Plus I used Avast antivirus.

That is a Service that didn't start. If you can get the name of that service, find it in 'services.msc' ; right click on Properties > Dependency tab; and it will show you what other service needs to be running before this one can run.
Also I'm trying to find it but I'm having trouble finding it.

#11 ·
I replaced my Ethernet cord today with a new one & with the computer off the light in the router is green, but when I turn my computer on it turns orange....& still I’m not able to access the internet or anything. I’ve tried finding the networks or at least my local network & nothing it just has a blank status. Just out of curiosity is there a way I can just start all over meaning reset the whole computer to where I can redo windows all together. Or is that even possible. Bc I don’t know what has happened to my computer but this is soooo frustrating. Bc it won’t let me do or access anything. All I see is this unknown that is blocking & restricting everything & no the only thing I have is the McAfee Advisor & I can’t even understand what that does & that’s it nothing else but the avast antivirus thing but I don’t know what else to do. & this is so much making my brain hurt bc I cannot figure out what is causing all this & I don’t know how to fix it. :(
just to let everyone know I thank you so much for everyone who has been helping me I want you to know how much I really appreciate your help & it means a lot I know it cannot be easy on your end but I just want to say thank you for now & I’m the future when I need your help as well. You all are doing an awesome job with all that you have to work with. :) just wanted to share & let you know.

#13 ·
I'm apologize for taken so long I had to go out of town for Easter. & the answer to both of your questions are no sir I can not. Bc it says I have no internet connection.
But what I do know is this or figured this out this much. The Ethernet cord thats plugged into the router is green when the computer is turned off but when I turn the computer on it turns solid orange & the X mark is over the computer icon & if you try to go to the place where your network is suppose to be there is nothing but blank & that is where I am stuck. I'm also thinking it maybe not quite sure but maybe it could have something to do with the place where the Ethernet is connected to the tower. Maybe something went out there. But no sir all my security & everything has been disabled & i am not able to undo or fix anything. That's is the part that is frustrating me bc it's like I'm locked out & restricted from using my own computer.

#14 ·
Update: Final conclusion.

So last night after I sat down & looked up on YouTube different things about how to find out the problem to the computer & after hitting a couple of road blocks I discovered I was asking the wrong question. So I typed in the message it was giving me about the group not being supportive & sure enough I found a video that had helped me figure out what the problem was. It was in the system configuration & it was on the wrong setting so after putting it on the right setting I now have complete access to the internet & Wifi.
So I thank you so much for helping me figure out & go through this learning process with me. It has inspired me to learn more about the computer systems. Have a great & awesome day & again thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.