Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New graphics card underperforming

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I'm extremely confused and don't know what to do. Two days ago I got my new Zotac 1060 6GB Amp! and it was working great at first. I played like 4 or 5 hours straight with no problems at all. Yesterday when I tried to play it started giving me 8 fps where I got 60 the day before. I changed every setting to low and I can play GTA V or Rocket league at around 20... which makes no sense at all. These are my specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8175 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (201 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., H61M-D2H-USB3
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I tried changing the power mode on the nvidia panel to performance and no changes. I've opened the case and tried to reseat the gpu but with no success. Valley Benchmark gives me a score of 270, temp goes 41ºC (it's all in highest settings) and I get 10 fps TOP. Graphics says 1911 Mhz and Memory 810Mhz, which makes no sense when I look at the graphics card specs. GPU Usage goes to 100% though. My previous GPU was a 950 and scored quite more (I don't remember how much though).

Any ideas? I already contacted the support service but as we are in holidays I don't know how long it will take for them to look into my problem and I want to try to solve it.
I hope you guys can help me or give me an idea so at least I know what's the problem.

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, I see quite a number of problems here;
1 The nvidia 10xx cards generally need a uefi bios. Your board has a legacy bios. Note there are three different ver of this board and I only checked ver#1
2 On ver #1, there is a bios update for nvidia card support. Are you running the latest bios? If not, I would update to the latest one
3 Your motherboard does not support win10. On the support page, the latest supported operating system is win8

All of the above can affect your game play.

If you do decide to update the bios, be sure of what ver# board you are using. In addition, be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. A bios update is not difficult however an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk. Here is a link to the support page for ver 1;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-D2H-USB3-rev-10#sp
There are links to the other ver # on that page.

How to properly install a new video card;
1 Old card still installed, go to the respective support site ie nvidia or amd and download the latest driver. Do not use a driver on the support disk; it is almost always out of date
2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
3 Shutdown and pull the old card. Install the new card and make any necessary pw connections. Be sure the card is fully seated in the slot. Connect monitor.
4 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #1. Reboot when prompted.
Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.