Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compaq Presario R3000 Does Not Connect to the Internet

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I have a compaq presario R3000 laptop with windows xp home edition that does not connect to the internet, it only goes from favorites to the BING and MSN webpages, but almost nothing can be done from there. I have http://www.google.com typed in the internet options window for my homepage but I get at the very top: "http://www.google.com - Cannot find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer" in my initial screen and the error message "The page cannot be displayed" as the title of the page.
I have an ACER and an HP laptops that work fine and have no problem at all connecting but I know it is not easy to get this PRESARIO laptop connected. If there is someone knowledgeable about windows xp internet connection that I can be referred to for eventually get this laptop connected, I appreciate.

#4 ·
The only known up-to-date browser that still works in Windows XP SP3 32-bit is Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.2.7.2000
I use it in my Windows XP SP3 32-bit test computer, and I haven't found a website yet that it won't load.

If you're using the Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers, they've become too outdated and no longer support most websites.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
I have to run internet explorer 11 at work and it seams like a lot of websites are getting incompatible even with IE11, they want you to use chrome. We can use Chrome as a secondary browser but I don't like it. Sometimes I have to use chrome to print a page from a website because it won't work in IE11.

#8 ·
Thank you very much for your first replies and for sayig in one of them that the only known up-to-date browser that still works in windows XP SP3 32-bit is Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.2.7.2000, but I can not use any browser in my laptop with windows XP to install it because my laptop is not connected to the internet and also I think I have SP2. To get my laptop connected to the internet is not easy and I do not know how. If without being connected to the internet there is a way to install Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.2.7.2000 to my laptop with windows XP SP2 32-bit, I appreciate any pertinent information.

#11 ·
Thanks for the last replies. I was told it is unlikely that I will be able to get any software apps or hardware drivers to install in my laptop if its copy of windows XP does not have service pack3. I checked the OS installation disk and it shows SP2. So now my question now is: will I be able to install Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.2.7.2000 and more software apps and hardware drivers if I change SP2 to SP3?

#13 · (Edited)
AFAIK, there are versions of NewMoon (M$ version of PaleMoon), MyPal and Serpent (aka Basilisk), all Mozilla 'forks' that will run on XP and are still supported.

@ Frank:-

Isn't Maxthon owned by the Chinese? Not sure as I'd really feel safe using that, even though I'm a Chrome/Chromium user of long-standing.....dating all the way back to September 2008, in fact.

Links for the above:-

MyPal:- https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Mypal.shtml

NewMoon & Serpent:- http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

These are all basically forked from Palemoon, and the last 2 builds are by a guy who goes by the handle of 'Roytam'. Apparently, these are well-regarded by the 'hold-outs' in the XP community, and are regularly maintained, being re-built to use relevant up-to-date bits of modern Mozilla code wherever possible.

Hope those help a wee bit.

Do, for Chrissakes, upgrade to SP3 as soon as you possibly can. You really need to make that your first priority, since it will enable an awful lot of other stuff, too. If Frank's link from MajorGeeks doesn't work out, I have a copy of SP3 I can let you have. Unlike the 'official' version of SP3, both Frank's and mine are simply regular downloads which do NOT need to be downloaded via Internet Exploder. You can access these via any browser on any machine, on ANY platform.

Mike. ;)

#14 ·
I have Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit which is integrated with updates to its April 2019 end-of-life, so it saves me a LOT of time and frustration when I install and use it for testing purposes.

The download links at MajorGeeks for SP3 still work.

Some Mozilla-coded browsers will install and run in Windows XP, but they're outdated versions which haven't been updated since last year.
Maxthon is the only browser that I'm aware of that's still supported and kept up-to-date.
Version 5.3.x is supposedly due to be released soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#16 ·
About 10 days ago I was told to change SP2 to SP3 and I did that changing the number 200 to 300 I think somewhere in the registry, as indicated by a YOUTUBE video, and about two days later When I started my Compaq Presario laptop with windows XP it just went to the red "with cubs" screen just having the arrow cursor and nothing to click. So I reinstalled Windows XP home edition with the install CD and now it has SP2 again.

Is there a better way to change SP2 to SP3?

I pinged GOOGLE.COM as I was told in the last post to which I am replying and this is the COMAND PROMPT response:

C:\Documents and Settings\Andres>ping google.com

Reply from {216.58.198.14} with 32 bytes of data:

Pinging google.com [216.58.192.14] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.58.192.14: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54

Reply from 216.58.192.14: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=54

Reply from 216.58.192.14: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=54

Reply from 216.58.192.14: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 216.58.192..14:

Packets: Sent = 4. Received = 4, Lost = 0 <o% loss>,

Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:

Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 26ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Andres>_

About a year ago instead of typing www.google.com I entered the two google domain numbers and I still did not get the google webpage. It is a tough case for getting this Compaq Presario laptop connected to the internet. I am very willing to keep working on the connection and then I guess install a better browser. I think I need guidance and patience for eventually getting connected.

#17 ·
I provided you with a webpage link in post #10 on page #1 so you can download and save and install the SP3 upgrade.

You cannot upgrade Windows XP SP2 to Windows XP SP3 simply by making a change in the registry.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#18 ·
You have internet connectivity. It was mentioned about the browsers not being compatible, which is most likely the case here as Firefox and Chrome stopped supporting XP and Vista. Internet Explorer 8 (I assume is what you have) will not work on most sites.

Flavallee's Maxthon suggestion is more than likely the only option for you here. http://www.maxthon.com/?lang

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.