Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing HDD HD with SSD

2K views 20 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Replaced HD in brand new HP Pavilion x360 Convertable that was sold by Best Buy at the same time as the computer. Upgraded memory too. Cloned the HD to the SSD and now computer saying no HD. Put the original back and now it will not recognize either. Went into BIOS and reset but nothing is working. Memory test was good so it it not that.

Any ideas? The BIOS is very slight in terms of what you can do. Nothing about drives except boot sequence so cannot specify SSD drive.

#2 · (Edited)
Replaced HD in brand new HP Pavilion x360 Convertable that was sold by Best Buy at the same time as the computer.
Please explain this - what was sold at the same time as the computer - does the computer refer to the X360
or do you mean the SSD was sold by Best Buy at the same time as the X360

What capacity is the SSD and what capacity is the original HDD and what did you use to clone it

I think the HDD is 1TB is it not

#3 ·
Bought an HP Pavilion x360 m Convertablr (11m-ad113dx with a 240GB HD and putting in an SSD 240GB for faster speed. Bought both the laptop and the drive and memory from Best Buy. Saleman chose both replacement parts. Also bought cable with EZ Gig IV cloning software recommended by salesman. My friend bought all of this and asked me to replace 4GB with 8GB memory and the HD with SDD.

#4 · (Edited)
For your future information - you should never attempt both a ram upgrade and a clone at the same time, if that is what you did.
You either make the ram upgrade first and ensure the system still boots and loads windows and the ram is showing the new capacity.
OR the other way round, but not both before trying to boot

Until you posted I had never heard of EZ Gig however a simple search shows there are numerous reports of it failing and indeed suggestions that this is especially so on windows 10
Plus which the user manual does not even list it as suitable for Windows 10

You will find if you search - as I did that most major cloning software providers have articles on EZ failing

For instance
https://www.backup-utility.com/clone/ez-gig-iv-clone-failed-3889.html
https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/best-ez-gig-iv-alternative.html

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/ez-gig-iv-alternative.html

I have used Easeus FREE cloning many times with no problems, both here on the site and personally for myself and other people.

That said many people recommend the other two as well AND most SSD suppliers offer their own cloning software#

That all said it should of course boot and load windows with the original drive installed

HP Pavilion x360 m Convertablr (11m-ad113dx
According to HP it came with a 500GB drive
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06038612
however I do of course appreciate that it may have been changed

To clarify DID you check if it booted and loaded windows with the additional ram and the original drive BEFORE making the clone.
IF NOT I suggest you take out the additional ram
leaving in the original drive and then try entering BIOS/UEFI firmware and see if the drive is then recognised and the boot is to Windows Boot Manager
and it loads windows.

IF it does I then recommend you dispense with the EZ Gig and clone with either one of the links or the cloning software from the SSD manufacturer

When you reply please do so by typing in the box that appears when you open the topic, NOT by clicking reply on this post, that will quote all of this back to me, on your post.
Please ONLY quote anything you wish to highlight to me

#5 · (Edited)
Further to the above if this is the correct service manual for your computer
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06040336
and you have had to remove the keyboard etc as described on Page 35 with references to the full procedure for such on earlier pages with links to those pages
and all the connecting cables to gain access to the hard drive, then IMHO this is NOT a job you should have even thought of undertaking unless you are proficient in such procedures.

The replacement of the drive, where it can be accessed simply by removing a bottom cover inspection panel, is totally different from the procedure involved here.
If BestBuy quoted you for the job, the procedure involved is why the quote may have seemed so expensive, not that I have any knowledge of BestBuy`s reasonableness of charges

RAM
Adding ram is according to the manual even more difficult, as that requires removal of the system board
Page 50 refers.
I also note there is a caution in the manual on adding ram
"FAILURE to Update the BIOS to the latest version before adding or replacing ram MAY result in various system problems."
That of course would be the case unless the latest BIOS is already installed which appears to be F23 Rev A issued January 2019

PLEASE confirm that I have the correct service manual for your computer and that the description of the tasks of replacing hard drive with SSD and adding ram is what you have had to do.

I also read that some M models of this computer came with both a M2 SSD on which the OS was installed, as well as a HDD for data.
I presume your model is not such, you having checked that the OS was on the HDD which you have cloned to the 2.5 SSD

If you need further confirmation post the serial number of the computer

#9 ·
PLEASE as I have now asked twice (post 7) - do not keep quoting back my posts
It is of no help and as you can see on your last I have to scroll down past the quote to read just a one line reply.

I want to try and help, but if you do not answer the questions I pose it is extremely difficult

You have answered just ONE

Please answer
PLEASE confirm that I have the correct service manual for your computer and that the description of the tasks of replacing hard drive with SSD and adding ram is what you have had to do.
and
I also read that some M models of this computer came with both a M2 SSD on which the OS was installed, as well as a HDD for data.
I presume your model is not such, you having checked that the OS was on the HDD which you have cloned to the 2.5 SSD
The data cable is connected and that is the only cable I see to the hard disk.
The connection to the drive as far as I know is both power and data is it not - you will know by the width of the connection

Did EZGig report the clone was successful and reading the user manual for EZGig did you use it in auto mode or invoke the manual setting

#11 ·
You still have not answered the question regarding
Is it the correct manual I have found for your computer and was the procedure as described to replace the hard drive and the ram
and are you sure there is NOT also the M2 drive

#12 ·
Yes that is correct manual. The replacement Hard Disk is a Sandisk SSD Plus. The SanDisk website says it comes with easy cloning software but the disk came with nothing in the package but the drive. I did not think to look on the web for instructions as I thought the software that came with the cable was adequate. I do not know what you mean by also the m2 drive.

#13 ·
So you had to remove the keyboard and the rest of the procedure to gain access to the drive and then you had to remove the system board to gain access to the ram
Is that correct please.

Do not think that this asked other than to try and give you the best advice

#14 ·
Yes I watched several youtube vidoes to make sure I was doing it correctly. I had not replaced hardware in a while and I know all laptops are put together differently. Took off keyboard, took out battery, removed motherboard to get to RAM. Then removed Hard Disk and after cloning it to new HD put the new one in. Per your instructions I reversed everything and put the old RAM and HD back. Then went to BIOS, pressed F9 to reset values and tried to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.