Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony Vaio Ultrabook 2014 Increase From 100GB to 1TB storage

Solved 
511 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Chrisb8154 
#1 ·
Hello,
It's a 13" model (SVP13223CGB) came with an internal 100gb Samsung XP941 Series Form Factor M.2 2280 Capacity 128gb Host Interface PCI-Express 2.0 x4

I want to increase the internal storage, not add a usb drive etc. I don't know what is a sales pitch or what is true.

I was told by a retailer that the only compatible drive that is bigger is a
SAMSUNG XP941 MZHPU512HCGL-00004(0) M.2 2280 512GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Solid State Drive - OEM

which is old and very expensive and only 512gb.

I also read that newer drives like the
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4
are backwards compatible with this 2014 laptop. And would work but slower. I am not worried about speed but better memory size.

Computer Personal computer Laptop Gadget Netbook

can somebody please give me their honest advise please. I don't want to spend the money on something that won't work because it's not compatible. I really thought that heaps of people would have already done this upgrade but I can't seem to find much modern info. It's no good looking at info that was around 5-6 years ago.
I cant use any adaptors or things like that as it must fit straight in like for like. Thanks for reading hope you can advise me. cheers!

See less See more
#5 ·
I got better results when I dropped the B (I think b stands for black) and used SVP13223CG instead.
Specs
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/laptop-pc-svp-series/svp13223cg/specifications
Manual
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/laptop-pc-svp-series/svp13223cg#manuals
https://icecat.biz/us/p/sony/svp13223cgb/vaio-notebooks-svp13223cg-21578040.html

I went to crucial.com for Australia which redirected me to the US site. I entered Sony then SVP13223CG and I had a choice of SVP13223CGB or SVP13223CGS (I assume that means silver).
I tried both and crucial had no products.

I don't know what replaces
Flash Memory
128 GB*4 (128 GB x 1, PCI Express x 4) which the Sony site lists as the storage.

#6 ·
According to this link you should be able to use an M.2 PCIe type drive but the advice to check what drive you already have by opening the laptop seems sensible. (NGFF stands for Next Generation Form Factor, it's an earlier description of the M.2 form factor) :- https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list.html#Sony-laptop

NVMe support may depend on the Bios though :-
There are two types of controllers used on PCIe M.2 SSD's. The Samsung XP941, and the AHCI model of the Samsung SM951 use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) protocol, which is very widely compatible, and requires no additional drivers to boot Windows 7/8/10. Around mid 2015 the Samsung SM951 became available in an NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Host Controller Interface) version, then in 2016 came the NVMe-based Samsung 950 Pro, followed more recently by the OEM Samsung SM961 and it's retail equivalent the 960 Evo along with the 960 Pro. These SSD's are generally compatible in the same motherboards and systems as the AHCI models so long as the manufacturer has provided an updated UEFI bios with the correct NVMe module.
Source :- https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ssd-guide-compatibility-list#xp941-mobos

#7 ·
It's a Sony BIOS I think? (computer is in pieces so I can't check). Sony don't do computers anymore, so I doubt they have any recent BIOS updates, can't call them for advice either for the same reason. The computer has had the BIOS checked for ""recentcifity"". The XP941 has M.2(M) interface SSD controller Samsung S4N053X01. I don't know what that means. I have made a list of the websites that have some detailed info. One of you guys definitely will be able to understand the info far more than me . I have written to Mr Memory in the UK, they have not got back to me yet. Thanks for your interest, Cheers

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ssd-guide-compatibility-list#xp941-mobos
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-xp941-256gb/p/N82E16820147366
https://www.itcreations.com/view_product.asp?product_id=99004
https://pcper.com/2015/04/pcie-ssd-roundup-samsung-sm951-nvme-vs-ahci-xp941-ssd-750-and-more/
https://www.itcreations.com/view_product.asp?product_id=70966
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-xp941-256gb/p/N82E16820147366

#8 ·
I tried using a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 . It started to look like it would work, when I was installing Windows 10. But would not start . It went into a loop where it kept wanting to reinstall windows onto the drive. I think my VAIO 2014 Ultrabook Laptop will probably only work with a very limited number of M.2 drives. I think that each Sony model is a different case, as I've seen youtube videos of people getting theirs to work with NVME as well.
So I will keep looking for a 512gb Samsung xp941, it's the biggest one they made. I have reinstalled the original memory and loaded Windows 1903 on it.
P.S. The BIOS American Megatrends and cannot be updated.

#9 ·
Did you leave the install media DVD/Usb connected as the first boot device ? If so when it restarts during the install that could cause a loop.

Also it's best to have any other hard drives disconnected to ensure all the needed Windows files go onto the M.2 drive.

#10 ·
I should have explained it better, the loop was when w10 trying to install to the M.2 at the point where the box appears for the drive allocation. I pulled out the w10 install usb drive. I have loaded w10 via usb onto pcs before without any issues, I thinks it's the WD M.2 is not compatible with the laptop. I have contacted My digital discount and asked them about this drive, if it might work. https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m...m.2-ngff-ssd-solid-state-drive-mdm280-sb2-1t/
MyDigitalSSD 960GB (1TB) Super Boot 2 (SB2) 80mm (2280) SATA III (6G) M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Drive - MDM280-SB2-1T.

see what they think. It's working OK on 1903 but has bugger all memory left only 40gb. I have deleted all the old sony and vaio stuff off it. Cant do much more with it as the ddr3 is not up-gradable and the BIOS is not up-gradable. Still pretty fast startup just wish it had a decent sized memory. Keep you posted!

#13 ·
40gb storage, sorry, I can't show disk management now as I have installed the original drive back. I am waiting to hear back about the M.2 drive mentioned above. But I will try to explain.
1. I have w10 on a usb drive which I have recently used previously building a PC.
2. The WD Blue drive was screwed to the motherboard it was formatted NTSC
3. The laptop BIOS was changed to external boot.
4. It booted from the usb and went through the normal process and I thought it was going to work OK . But, it would not get past the stage where the w10 wanted allocate partitions onto the drive. That's about all I can tell you, sorry. I don't want to try that all again until I know more. I just think that I don't know enough about it to comment, however, I feel that the WD blue M.2 is not compatible. Thanks for your interest and replies. Cheers.

P.S. I found the original spec sheet that came with this laptop. It says
Model Name : SVP13223CGB
Model Number : SVP 132A1CW (Why confuse the issue? I don't get stuff like that)
Processor Intel Core i5 4200U (1.60GHZ (up to 2.60 Ghz)
Main Memory : 4gb DDR3L SDRAM (1600MT/S) (4GB (On Board)
Storage: 128gb solid state drive (PCI Express x 4) (128gb X 1)

#14 ·
I have finished my research into this issue. Only 2 M.2 2280 will work, both Samsung, happy to be proven incorrect.

XP941 MZHPU512T0H1HP (AHCI VERSION (ONLY? VERSION))WILL WORK. (Only had a AHCI Version then)

SM951 (MZHPV) (AHCI VERSION) WILL PROBABLY WORK

the M.2 connector is an M key, thus showing this is a PCIe only SSD

The NVMe variant (P/N: MZVPV) WON'T WORK

MyDigitalDiscount.com:
After further review, it does appear you will need an AHCI PCIe M.2 SSD. That said, the BPX Pro and SM961 NVMe models mentioned above would not be compatible. We apologize for any confusion.

Unfortunately, we do not carry AHCI PCIe M.2 drives at this time.

Check your existing M.2 drive in the Sony Vaio Pro. If it's a Samsung XP941 model, then you have a PCIe based M.2 drive

There are two types of controllers used on PCIe M.2 SSD's. The Samsung XP941, and the AHCI model of the Samsung SM951 use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) protocol, which is very widely compatible, and requires no additional drivers to boot Windows 7/8/10. Around mid 2015 the Samsung SM951 became available in an NVMe bios on the sony is not updateable,no UEFI

"The Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD (AHCI model) is the new performance leader in M.2 form factor SSD's, providing up to 2000MB/s read and 600MB/s write sequential data transfer rates.

- Extreme performance - up to 2000/600 sequential read/write data transfer rates
- PCIe 3.0 device, backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0
- Small M.2 form factor plugs straight into your PCIe-based M.2 socket with no additional cables required

Features:-
- PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s Interface, up to 4 Lanes
- Compliant with PCI Express Base Specification Rev. 3.0
- Support Standard AHCI driver
- Supporting APM
- Supporting L1.2 Mode
- Support NCQ (Up to 32 depth) Command Set
- Support SSD Enhanced S.M.A.R.T. Feature Set
- Support TRIM Command
- End-to-End Data Protection
- RoHS Compliant

Specification:-
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Capacity: 512GB
- Edition: SM951
- Form Factor: M.2 (22x80)
- Height: 2.38 mm
- Interface: PCIe 3.0 (x4)
- Host Controller Interface: AHCI
- Flash Memory Type: MLC NAND
- Max. Read: 2000 MB/s
- Max. Write: 600 MB/s
- DRAM Cache Memory: N/A
- Max. Random Read 4K: 90000 IOPS
- Max. Random Write 4K: 70000 IOPS
- Power Consumption (active): 6.5
Connectivity: 1 x M.2 PCIe

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 SSD samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_06 Here we get our first look at the fastest consumer SSD on the market today. We say consumer with a bit of tongue in cheek since it uses the proposed enterprise spec 4 lanes and is technically an OEM drive with an aggressive retailer bringing them to market. The XP941 isn't much larger than a stick of gum, but it does fall within the specs for M.2. The spec for this model is 22mm wide and 80mm long, which is 2280 or M.2 2280. The M.2 spec has other sizes that go from 30mm to 110mm. As the length increases, so does the surface area for more components, such as the flash packages. The smaller size drives are mainly designed for cache modules, part of Intel's RST 13.x storage system that we'll talk about in the ASRock Extreme6 Storage Subsystem Overview in a few days. samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_07 samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_08 The controller's name is UAX, and it is a triple-core architecture like the EVO's MEX and the Pro's MDX. We like to say that one core is dedicated to reading, one to writing, and one to arithmetic. The third core manages the flash, background transfers (garbage collection), and wear leveling activities. The 512GB model also has a 512MB DRAM buffer that is next to the controller. samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_09 Until now, we've only seen 16 die in a single package on the mSATA EVO 1TB SSD. The EVO uses TLC flash, but the 512GB XP941 uses 16 MLC die in a single package. The drive has four NAND flash packages in total, with two on each side. This product is like an exotic sports car made in limited numbers like a Ferrari FXX or Aston Martin One77. The technology is available but not cost effective for mainstream use. samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_10 RamCity also sent us a pair of Bplus PCIe 4-lane adapters that include a heat sink for the drive. Here we see the adapter broken down and ready to accept an 80mm length M.2 drive. Note: this model will only support up to 2280. It does ship with both a full height and half height cover. samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_11 The drive installs at an angle like the RAM in your notebook. You push it down gently and then install a screw that holds the drive against the adapter. samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_12 With the drive in place, we can get the heat sink ready. samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review_13

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6372/samsung-xp941-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review/index3.html"

M Z X X X X X X X X X X X - X X X X X
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13-14 15 16 17 18

1. Memory (M)

2. Module Classification Z: SSD

3. Form FactorV: PCIe M.2 (22*80, PCIe x4)

4. Line-UpP: PM PC/Client

5. SSD CTRLV: UBX

6~8. SSD Density128: 128GB256: 256GB512: 512GB

9. NAND PKG + NAND Voltage H: BGA (LF,HF)

10. Flash GenerationD: 5th Generation

11~12. NAND DensityGM: 512G ODP 8CEGL: 1TB HDP 16CE

13. "-"

14. Default"0"

15. HW revision0: No revision

16. Packaging type0: Bulk

17~18. Customer00: NONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.