Tech Support Guy banner

Major League Baseball (MLB)

118K views 1K replies 12 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Now that the Red Sox Pitchers and Catchers have reported to Spring Training camp in Florida this past Sunday, position players are scheduled to report no later than tomorrow, however, most have already reported, except notably for David Ortiz with a brand new contract.

It appears that Bobby Valentine (new Red Sox on-field Manager) is running a tight ship and the players are gung-ho for it.

Meanwhile in the off-season, the MLB rules have been modified for this coming season as follows:
MLB tweaks rule to prevent stalling for relievers.

-- Tom

#943 ·
Looks like it's going back to the Astro's home field... I agree it's been a good series and as much as I think the Umps have a problem with the Strike Zone, they're at least equal opportunity ball/strike callers for both sides... :eek: The Good thing is, we have another Game... :cool:

#947 ·
#950 ·
I read that the owners want to cut down on minor league player numbers and that seems counterintuitive since the popularity for the sport is waning. We've been going to the local team games since 1978 and now they're talking about leaving. Not really growing the sport, eh? :mad:

#954 ·
Still the main reason I cant stand Pedro Martinez. Plunked guys for years as a Blue Jay, went to the Mets and got drilled his first AB. Soooo deserved it.

Step across the line, you play ball. That means you bat. Period.

Gramps is rolling in his grave...

#958 ·
Well they finally ended it and here are a few of the changes:

• A 12-team postseason, with the top two division winners earning a first-round bye.

• A 45-day window to impose rule changes, decided on by a new joint committee, beginning in 2023.

• A universal designated hitter.

• A six-team draft lottery, implemented with hopes of curtailing tanking.

• A provision that prevents teams from optioning eligible players more than five times within a season.

• Additional advertising through patches on jerseys and decals on helmets.

(So we can expect this again in five years.... I think I'll take up watching Golf..)

#961 ·
They are soooo backwards stupid. The shift was a natural strategy progression. I dont care for it BUT I totally understand it. It evolved due to the bunt going away, now its all grip it and rip it. Like I said, I dont care for it but its a natural progression.

The DH rule is just an abomination.

Again...they got it totally bass ackward.

But thats just my plugged nickels worth. ;)

#962 ·
I intentionally hit a ton of batters, usually after they took me yard and got yappy about it. Yard is fine, yappy not so much so.

I always took my medicine when I took bat. You step inside the lines you play the game. If not just go to the spectator seats.

Yeah. I feel sorta strongly about the DH rule lol....

My former boss, whom I still talk with (6 years after he left...good dude) loves it BUT never played at a high level. I'll explain it.

Mike, whats your view on the universal DH? You havent said squat on it.

#963 ·
I'm actually all for it. More offense to the game in my opinion and therefore more plays. And I'm one of those who think the game is not too long. As an aside I think we're gonna keep our minor league team because a levy recently passed making the fairgrounds available for a new field. :up: (The U of O got all uppity this past year and decided to not share their field anymore.)

#964 ·
Dude....it sucks and is stupid. :)

Thats awesome about the team. I mustve gone to a thousand Portland Rockies games....love the lower leagues. Get to chat with the players AND footlong is actually a footlong and costs a buck. :)

#965 ·
In college used to take Gramps Baxter to the Sky Sox games in Colorado Springs...he taught me all baseball so thats probably where I get my old fashioney views.

#966 ·
Couldn't help myself... :cool:

11 Facts About Babe Ruth

The Sultan of Swat. The Great Bambino. The Caliph of Clout. Babe Ruth has been known by many names, including George Herman Ruth, Jr., which is the name he was born with on February 6, 1895, in Baltimore, Maryland. After a rocky childhood, he'd make a mark not just on American sports, but on a nation emerging from the horrors of WWI and the Great Depression.

#968 ·
Another wow....https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33756795/new-york-yankees-nestor-cortes-pitches-immaculate-inning-strikes-12-batters-five-innings