Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu-Ray External drive won't close

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Firstly, thanks to anyone who can help with this.

I have an old Asus Blu-Ray Burner (Model BW-12D1S-U as far as I can read the tiny print) that I purchased in late 2014. Now, Ive been satisfied with it, but lately it's had one small problem; the tray for the disk gets caught when closing. There are 2 triangular 'notches' inside the door on either side, and when closing, the bottom of the tray catches on these notches. It stops the tray from closing, but a simple nudge on the tray and the tray goes in fine. An annoyance, but I lived with it for a while.

Now, howevr, it has worsened: when pressing the 'eject' button, or trying to open it by right-click, the door won't open and the tray sticks. To get it to open, I actually have to pound the top of the unit for it to eject, only to have to do same the next time. This has now gone beyond annoying.

I'm assuming it merely needs some sort of adjustment to the disk tray, but I'm no expert and don't know if that's it, or even how to correct it if I AM right. It doesn't seem to be the door to the unit, it looks like it's aligned right to me.

Is there ANY way to correct this? I's driving me NUTS. It's a good unit otherwise, but pounding on the top of the casing ain't going to do it any favors.

Also, one other question - can I use this unit to burn BDXL disks (100 -128 GB)? The unit's spsc. page doesn't specify that I can, but it DOES read previously MADE BDXL's. I'm afraid to try it and ruin a perfectly good, expensive BDXL disk testing it.

Again, thanks to anybody who can help with these.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just tried it about 20 or more times (including shutting it off and on a few times in the process). it opened fine with a disk inside every time. It still catches on those 'notches' when closing, but otherwise it opened fine with a disk.

I then took the disks out (I tried 3 different ones) and it has opened without the disk each time. However, I know this is only temporary, and by the time I restart the PC again, it will go back to sticking. But it did work like you said.

Another issue I forgot to mention: it usually takes hitting the eject button TWICE to get it to open. I remember when I bought it off Amazon, a number of purchasers mentioned it having this problem. I usually eject it through the right click menu in Windows Explorer because of this weird problem (where it doesn't happen) that REALLY annoys me.

Would you know the answer to the other question, if it can write BDXL disks (like I said, it can READ them, but nowhere in the specs. that I can find ANYWHERE does it mention anything on BDXL for this drive)?

#4 ·
#6 ·
I would just leave a disk inside then. I think any old disk would do, like a failed burn one that's otherwise useless.

Sorry I don't know anything about BDXL disks, I suspect they won't work if it's not mentioned in the specs.

I did find this which does not show BDXL compatibility for your drive (2nd one down) :- https://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en/prod/mdisc-lifetime-archival-bdxl-100gb--single-disc-43833/
I suppose it probably doesn't. It seemed to READ one or 2 BDXL's that I tried, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will WRITE one.

I have at least one other drive that will write them anyway. As for anything I need to store that's above 50 GB, I suppose it would be better to probably just buy a really small HDD ANYWAY (seems that I've found that these big Blu-Rays are terrible for data storage anyhow. Too easy to get scratched or lost or something).

As for the closing problem, I guess I'll either have to leave in a disk like you say (which I don't like to do, but if i have to...), or see if I can somehow adjust it. In any case, thanks for the help and sorry for the delayed reply (I've been dealing with a work conflict and long hours on 2 jobs).

#8 ·
You're welcome.

I had to leave a disk in an old desktop PC optical drive so it would open every time, it took a while to get into the habit but then it became second nature.

(If you're sure there's nothing more to be done please click on [Mark Solved] at the top of your page).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.