Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Final decisions on PC upgrade parts

Solved 
675 views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Ok so I tried posting this on Reddit but nobody actually replied for advice, was wondering if I could get any help from over here?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD A8-7600 70 °C

Kaveri 28nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-HD2 (P0) 33 °C

Graphics

BenQ GL2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)

24W\_LCD\_TV (1920x1080@60Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 40 °C

Storage

931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 34 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB SATA CdRom Device

Audio

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if 1. that all these upcoming upgrades are actually compatible, because y'know I'm a bit of a novice at this thing, and 2. that it would be at least kinda viable for what I intend to do on it, and what I want to do is record High(ish) end games without losing tonnes of frames, be able to render videos and maybe even stream? Any computer wiz who's also dabbled in youtube/twitch around here who could give advice on that would be very appreciated. Also let me know what other additions I may need to make in the future, I was thinking of an SSD because I've heard very good things about them, and also switching to Windows 10, for quality of life purposes and, well, windows 7 is a little outdated. I also wonder if I'll need a new PSU because of the new parts, I run just fine right now with a 500w but that could change quite a bit with the new stuff, any good PSU brands? Thanks in advance.

MOBO - ASUS TUF B450 Plus gaming - £94.53

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3000MHz) - £91.95

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - £133.14

= £319.62

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your original board is microATX
F2A68HM-HD2 (
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-F2A68HM-HD2-rev-10/sp#sp
size
Micro ATX Form Factor; 22.6cm x 17.4cm

Your new board is ATX
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/
size
ATX Form Factor
12.0 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )

as you can see larger
Most cases fit both ATX and therefore micro
HOWEVER NOT all do so make sure yours will otherwise you will need a new case

The new board supports the processor since the first issue BIOS firmware so you should get a boot
On some CPU`s a BIOS update is required before the system will boot
However your CPU is second generation and was supported from BIOS 0221 the original release

Once you have it booted and the OS loaded and all stable I recommend a BIOS flash as you will see later BIOS was issued to improve performance. You flash to the lastest as BIOS updates of course include all previous BIOS changes

I STRONGLY recommend you choose ram from the QVL list
Asus cannot of course test all ram and your ram may work fine. However those chipsets and indeed the CPU are very choosy regarding ram and ram on the QVL list from Asus has been tested

You will see that some ram, will work on all 4 DIMM slots and some not
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Other than that as far as I can see all is OK

Good luck with it

Yes you do need to go to 10 as of course 7 goes end of life 14 Jan 2020 and therefore will become a security risk and increasingly so as time passes.

If you go for an SSD install the OS on that and use the Toshiba for your storage of data etc.

The B450 has a
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
and M2 NVME PCIE is the fastest you can get
Like a lightning flash compared with a traditional drive

#5 ·
Your original board is microATX

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-F2A68HM-HD2-rev-10/sp#sp
size
Micro ATX Form Factor; 22.6cm x 17.4cm

Your new board is ATX
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/
size
ATX Form Factor
12.0 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )

as you can see larger
Most cases fit both ATX and therefore micro
HOWEVER NOT all do so make sure yours will otherwise you will need a new case

The new board supports the processor since the first issue BIOS firmware so you should get a boot
On some CPU`s a BIOS update is required before the system will boot
However your CPU is second generation and was supported from BIOS 0221 the original release

Once you have it booted and the OS loaded and all stable I recommend a BIOS flash as you will see later BIOS was issued to improve performance. You flash to the lastest as BIOS updates of course include all previous BIOS changes

I STRONGLY recommend you choose ram from the QVL list
Asus cannot of course test all ram and your ram may work fine. However those chipsets and indeed the CPU are very choosy regarding ram and ram on the QVL list from Asus has been tested

You will see that some ram, will work on all 4 DIMM slots and some not
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Other than that as far as I can see all is OK

Good luck with it

Yes you do need to go to 10 as of course 7 goes end of life 14 Jan 2020 and therefore will become a security risk and increasingly so as time passes.

If you go for an SSD install the OS on that and use the Toshiba for your storage of data etc.

The B450 has a
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
and M2 NVME PCIE is the fastest you can get
Like a lightning flash compared with a traditional drive

Thanks for the informed reply!

So in summary what I gather from what you have said (please correct me if I've misinterpreted) is that:

-The MOBO is fine, but make sure it will fit inside my existing case.

-The RAM (Memory) I have already could still work with the chosen MOBO, and that I should (If I wanted to purchase new memory) refer to the QVL list for said MOBO. Or is the QVL list for the CPU? Or both? Whatever the answers for the previous Q's, the link you've posted for the QVL lists only covers 1st and 3rd gen but not second, I was wondering which one I should look at?

-I kind of understand the whole BIOS thing after a little bit of research, because of the chosen hardware, I should theoretically get a boot, and after said boot has finished with the Operating system I should opt for a BIOS Flash, in other words updating the BIOS to the most current version, I watched a video and as far as I understand all he did was download the latest BIOS version for his MOBO onto a suitably sized stick drive, and went to boot and updated it simple as that?

-What I gather from the last few Paragraphs is the SSD talk, I looked to see what would be compatible and if I'm not wrong a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB would fit quite nicely, maybe at a later date when the bank is looking a bit healthier XD.

That leaves me with only a couple other concerns (which I'll probably have to learn on my own), would be how to install an OS, and more importantly whether my existing 500W PSU could handle the additional parts.

Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie also, and maybe repeating a few things, writing it in an obvious tone helps me understand it a little better, pretty uneducated on PC building as a whole haha.

#3 ·
Looks good to me. I have used the Corsair Vengeance ram on a number of ryzen builds and it works great. Do understand that you may need to set ram speed and voltage manually in the bios. The ram will probably default to 2133 speed and 1.2V.
The cooler that comes with your processor should be the Wraith cooler; those are excellent for an oem type cooler. In fact that cooler is about the only oem type cooler I will use.

#6 ·
Looks good to me. I have used the Corsair Vengeance ram on a number of ryzen builds and it works great. Do understand that you may need to set ram speed and voltage manually in the bios. The ram will probably default to 2133 speed and 1.2V.
The cooler that comes with your processor should be the Wraith cooler; those are excellent for an oem type cooler. In fact that cooler is about the only oem type cooler I will use.
I didn't know that so thanks, the more knowledge the better eh? Also the cooler I'm using at the moment is the Cryorig H7, it has a few adaptors so It should work with the MOBO, if it does fit correctly, should I stick with my current cooler of go for the OEM cooler?

#4 ·
chewitt
Having been to your topic SINCE I posted my reply, your response would be appreciated

My colleague is very experienced and can configure ram with his eyes closed :D:D

If you are NOT so experienced I still say check that your ram is on the QVL list for the Corsair
it does list three examples of Corsair at 3000 MHZ
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
and if the above is your choosing it is on the list
CORSAIR

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.24)

be aware that it will not support 4 dimm according to ASUS QVL
I know you are using 2 x 8GB so that is not a problem at this time

#9 · (Edited)
The ram in the present setup is DDR3 and will not work with the new setup as that is DDR4
The ram you suggest is as I said on the QVL list
The ram on the third generation will be OK for your CPU
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3000MHz) - £91.95

Re the NVME I think the one you listed is NOT M2
M2 is the form factor the next digits are the width and length
M2 comes in SATA or PCIE PCIE is NVMNE and that is the fastest

I am sure you do not need 1TB

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...AMING/TUF_B450-PLUS_GAMING_Devices_report.pdf

960EVO-MZ-V6E500-500G

960 PRO-MZ-V6P1T0-1T

MZ-HPV2560-SM951

MZ-VLB1T00

MZ-VPV2560-M.2

MZ-VKV512-M.2

SM961-MZ-VKW1T00-1TB

https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/970-evoplus-nvme-m2-ssd/MZ-V7S500BW/
I do not suggest this one but it shows you what an M2 PCIE looks like

This will help you understand if you do not know about M2 drives
https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

when you reply in future posts please type in box that appears when you open topic, after the last post, not by clicking reply on the last post
That as you can see quotes back all that has been posted to you

HAVE YOU BUILT A SYSTEM before rather than simply installing additional ram, drive or card in an existing system. I read that you say inexperienced and we all had to start at the base level. However that could still mean you have built one or two. OR NONE before

#10 ·
Further to my last what is the make and full model of your 500 watt PSU
The wattage is OK but it depends on that board and CPU of the quality of the PSU rather than simply the wattage

#11 ·
Thanks for the SSD info. No, I have not ever built a full system, I've just done little bits here and there on my PC, like installing a better cooler and fans and that's about it, however the internet is a wonderful resource to learn new things and I intend to do just that and give it a shot myself. What's wrong with installing additional ram to an existing system then?

#12 · (Edited)
What's wrong with installing additional ram to an existing system then?
Sorry I am not quite sure what you mean by that

You have not answered the question regarding the PSU

Referring to the build see this
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guide-for-building-your-own-system.531492/

Referring to the Ryzen when you get it built and all working and tested for a few days, under full load eg graphics - streaming videos and all is good if you wish to OC see this
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/overclocking-ryzen.1206062/

Both of those are from my colleague crjdriver who posted to you on this topic.

Going back to it being your first full build my advice is
Take it slowly and read everything first, layout all your parts and before you make any connections - check twice - that you are connecting the correct cable to the correct header.
It is not easy to correct incorrectly, as of the course the connections in most cases are shaped on curved edges and straight edges etc and the securing clip if there is one clearly goes on one side of the header.

HOWEVER I can assure you that you would not be the first person to connect incorrectly and I have answered topics on this site where a new motherboard has gone with a bang or a puff of smoke, simply due to connecting incorrectly.

As the board is ATX and the existing one Micro pay special attention to the mounting points for the board in the case.

The other - not unknown error - and usually results in something of a disaster is to incorrectly seat the CPU, check you have the arrow or whatever positioning indicator the CPU has in the correct place. Get it wrong and you usually bend a pin at least and it could be bye bye CPU.

That is just a very general type of advice and if you have any questions please post

#14 · (Edited)
So what did you mean please regarding the ram when you asked
chewitt said:
What's wrong with installing additional ram to an existing system then?
Re the PSU there is no nice way to say it is poor quality - low end and I would NOT even think of using it on your setup
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/4/

review is 600watt but the principle of the components remains the same
You want a all Japanese capacitors model and you want more stability and protection than that Aerocool Integrator can possibly provide at that cost

This is so on a board and CPU of that quality whether you are OC`d or not, but presumably you are going to and that PSU could easily be the kiss of death - if the cheap protection provided fails and that PSU goes overvoltage it could be bye bye before the system shuts down.

Not necessarily this one
https://www.ebuyer.com/730191-evga-...Ix_DN3sXI4wIVBLTtCh0pTABSEAQYAyABEgIyofD_BwE#

but as a example of the spec with a proper bearing and not just a sleeve bearing for the fan and the 100% high quality capacitors - an example for you

and another
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...™-80-PLUS-Gold-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020105-NA

#16 ·
I am sorry I still DO NOT know what you mean I cannot understand this
install additional ram into an existing system
Please do not give up on that point - it could be of vital importance to you
Could you quote what I said that has caused you the confusion

#18 ·
OK
I was simply referring to your experience before I advised someone with experience of building a system, when of course if they replied
I have built four before
they would not need basic advice on building.

I have as you will see when you get chance to read all in my last on the build aspect now included some links and my basic advice.

As I said I really would not risk that PSU you have on your new board and CPU

Good luck with it

#19 ·
OK
I was simply referring to your experience before I advised someone with experience of building a system, when of course if they replied
I have built four before
they would not need basic advice on building.
Ok well thanks for the concern, trust me I will follow everything to the book, the last thing I want is to throw away hundreds of pounds of equipment XD.

#20 ·
Just a word of advise. If possible, have a knowledgeable friend watch you do the build. If this is not possible, watch some videos on how to build a system. Go slowly and check your work. You do not get extra points for how fast you do a build :)

#24 ·
Cheers
Let us know how it goes please
Mark it solved
click mark solved on your opening post
If when you build and IF you encounter problems and the topic is still open, mark it unsolved and post
If the topic is closed start a new one

All the best

Reactions: chewitt
#25 ·
Ok so now I need to know some stuff, is there anything I should consider when buying a new PSU, like whether it has the right connectors, enough connectors, dimensions, or are dimensions always the same, because as far as I can see the first one you posted, this one:

https://www.ebuyer.com/730191-evga-...Ix_DN3sXI4wIVBLTtCh0pTABSEAQYAyABEgIyofD_BwE#

Seems like it'd work just fine with the build I have although i'm not sure based on the concerns I've just listed.

#26 ·
That pw supply has more than enough connectors; it has two 8pin aux or cpu pw connectors and four 8pin pci-e or video connectors.
EVGA does not mfg their own pw supplies. I know the supernova series is made by seasonic; not sure who mfg that one however it should be fine.

#28 ·
Good PSU - compared with what you planned
Pleased to hear all went well with the windows 10
My advice is to stay with the included Windows Defender that is the 10 equivalent but better of what was the MSE on 7
Totally different to the Defender on 7 that was only anti spyware/adware

The advantage of Defender is that you have 100% compatibility with 10 - 100% of the time - not something that can be said for most 3rd party AVs they appear to start of OK and then cause problems especially after version updates to 10.

#30 ·
Cheers
Pleased to have helped, together with crjdriver
Hope all goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.