Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Media program for Win XP

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  cornemuse 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have decided to attempt to reinvigorate my old but faithful XP computer as a media player, but without any luck I would appreciate it if you could give me the guidance and advice to do so.

LockeyP

#6 ·
Do you have a Blu-ray burner or player mounted in it?

#10 ·
Hi Guys I'll give it them a go, atm I don't have any Br discs but it would be nice to have the facility, if and when it arises.

Thanks

Lockeyp

#11 ·
Remember, even with the software Allan and I found, you still need a blu ray burner or player to be able to read the blu ray disc. A DVD writer won't read a blu ray disc
Make sure your Win xp comp has the requirements necessary for the device.

#12 ·
I have a Blu-ray burner on my Gigabyte P43T with windows 7 Pro and I was able to get VLC to play them by adding a file and the AACS dynamic library file.

#13 ·
One problem might be the Browsers like IE or Firefox are no longer supported (or Work) for XP.
You will not be able to view the videos on the internet .. like YouTube on XP.
I have an internet friend that refuses to update from XP.
Last I knew, he still could see some of my old videos on YT, but I expect that to change ... or has changed.

#14 ·
#16 ·
WMP (Windows Media Player), which is included in XP, can play DVD discs if you install the mpeg2 codec. Or you can use pretty much any standalone media player which you prefer. MPC-HC, VLC, GOM, PotPlayer, etc. (all free).

For Blu-Ray support, you are pretty much out of luck. From a software standpoint, the only real options are PowerDVD or WinDVD. VLC doesn't officially support Blu-Ray. Also, I don't recall specifics, but I seem to recall that Blu-Ray support in XP was sketchy at best. You do need HDCP compliant hardware, so a compliant video card with HDMI output and a monitor using HDMI input. To make matters worse, you would need PowerDVD or WinDVD as ntoed above, but I doubt the new versions will even run on XP. Which means you would have to use an old version, which would be a security risk and wouldn't contain all of the encryption types/codes needed to play any discs newer than when that version of the software was released.

#18 ·
An option for playing content (from the Internet) on an older computer is booting a Live Linux distro ( like Puppy Linux) and using a current browser like Firefox or Chrome.
Free and better security than XP.

#23 ·
Remember, even with the software Allan and I found, you still need a blu ray burner or player to be able to read the blu ray disc. A DVD writer won't read a blu ray disc
Make sure your Win xp comp has the requirements necessary for the device.
I will . Thanks for the reminder.

Loceyp

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.