Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No internet access from any device

4K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hi folks, i hope I can find help here. :)

I searched a lot to fix this problem, but it's kind of specific and I don't really know what to try anymore.
Furthermore, it's more a problem of my brother who lives in the netherlands. I live in Germany, so sadly I don't have access to his router (a Zyxel VMG8825-T50). I hope I can describe the problem as clear as possible.
The provider ist T-Mobile NL with a normal 100 DSL-contract.

Basically it's all about not getting an internet connection in a new appartment. Not with PCs, Laptops or Smartphones. Neither via LAN nor WIFI…

We talked to the provider twice, they tried to help us. Everything was set up completely again and again, but no success… The provider told us, on their side everything is working totally fine and a signal seems to get to the router.

Strangely the router confirms this. When we got to the menu it showed that data was sent and received by the router. And even the used LAN-Port and WIFI-Frequencies are showing data packages being sent and received.
Do logins and tweaking of the router settings count to this datapackage counter?

Otherwise I can't really explain why theres traffic, because every device we tried had a connection to the router, but not to the internet. I don't think every single one of them was configured in a wrong way.

Of course we tried to find the cause on his Windows 10 machine anyway. The network troubleshooting shows us this message:
Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings.

Maybe anyone here has an idea, what could solve this problem. Or at least what the cause could be.

Thanks in advance and if you need more information, then please ask. :)
Carcas

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not an expert but you may need to uncheck "use proxy" in the network LAN settings unless you know it is required. Most wireless require a password.

#3 ·
Welcome to TSG @Carcas23

To determine the cause of the issue we need to know:

1) does the modem have the correct lights
2) is it connected to the router
3) what information the device is receiving from the router
4) what information the router is getting from the modem (if it's separate) or what the modem/router is receiving from the ISP
5) can you communicate to the outside by PING

I will write these instructions for the Windows 10 machine.

so the second question you have already answered, which is that you have devices connected to the router, which then I assume for question 1, the Power, SEL/Ethernet WAN, and Internet lights are all solid green? (if the internet light is blinking, it means there is data being transferred, a good sign)

for 3) go to command prompt (type cmd in the search bar and select Command Prompt) and type IPCONFIG /ALL and press enter. Depending the connection (wireless or Ethernet) look for the connection he is using and provide us the IPv4 Address, subnet, gateway, and DNS servers.

for 4), he will need to go the router's webpage. That will be 192.168.1.1 by default and the username is admin and the password is on the device. When connected, check the WAN1 informaiton to make sure that is populated and check the IP address and DNS servers.

for 5), this is a quick check. In command prompt, type the following commands:

ping google.com
ping 172.217.11.78
ping 8.8.8.8
ping 192.168.1.1

and see if any of these have a reply, similar to:

Pinging google.com [172.217.11.78] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.11.78: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=48

If it shows request timed out, or cannot find host name, then there is no connectivity.

#6 · (Edited)
To determine the cause of the issue we need to know:

1) does the modem have the correct lights
2) is it connected to the router
3) what information the device is receiving from the router
4) what information the router is getting from the modem (if it's separate) or what the modem/router is receiving from the ISP
5) can you communicate to the outside by PING
Thanks for all your answers. :)
As Couriant already said, the Zyxel VMG8825-T50 contains the modem.
Now to your questions:
  1. Yes, all the required LEDs are green. And the internet LED is blinking from time to time, yes.
    But I think it's just blinking when the notebook is logged in into the router Interface. (EDIT: it seems that the internet LED is blinking more often than I thought. More when a device is connected over Ethernet or WiFi... but even when nothing is connected to the router, but then, rather rare.
  2. My brother tested your instructions on his Win10 Notebook connected via Ethernet.
  3. IPv4 Adress: 192.168.1.219 (preferred)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS-Server: 192.168.1.1
  4. (I'm a little confused about that one. I think I have found what you need to know, but there are 3 seperate IP-Adresses with seperate MAC-Adresses. But only one of them is completely filled with informations, and it's the one with 255.255.255.0 subnet, so you get this now. I hope, that's right.

IP Adress: 31.21.254.116
    Primary DNS-Server: 37.143.84.228
    Secondary DNS-Server: 37.143.84.229
  5. (Every answer was shown 4 times)

ping google.com

Request timed out.

ping 172.217.11.78
    Request timed out.

ping 8.8.8.8
    Request timed out.

ping 192.168.1.1
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    (0% loss)
Is this somehow helping? Doesn't seem to get connected to the outer world, does it?
Thanks in advance again. :)

#4 ·
This being an apartment where is the "Modem"?

And how is the router connected to the modem?

You have told us about the "Router" that is in use, but, nothing about the modem.

#12 ·
I totally do not understand that WAN information. WAN is Wide Area Network and is the connection to the ISP.

Maybe James can interpret that. You may have to ask the ISP what that means and if it is correct. It looks incomplete or wrong to me, but I just don't know.

#13 ·
Well, the ping in itself seems to confirm that you can get to the router, but not past that.

Can he ping either IP Address in that screen shot?

I have never seen WAN Information that is not showing the Default Gateway for that so I don't know if that is by design.

For reference, a default gateway is like a door to the next network so if it's incorrect then you would not be able to get outside your own network.

#14 ·
Well, the ping in itself seems to confirm that you can get to the router, but not past that.

Can he ping either IP Address in that screen shot?

I have never seen WAN Information that is not showing the Default Gateway for that so I don't know if that is by design.

For reference, a default gateway is like a door to the next network so if it's incorrect then you would not be able to get outside your own network.
We tried to ping both of the IP addresses - 10.136.127.170 and 31.21.254.116 - in the screenshot and both were successful.

I can't find any other information about the default gateway than the IP 192.168.1.1...

#16 ·
Damn, I was really hoping we could avoid that…

It‘s difficult to find such a problem without really seeing the interface…
I know that this router-model has the ability to be remotely accessed.

Do you think, it‘s possible to achieve this? I was thinking about this, because the router itself seems to get a connection to the internet (at least it says so…). If so, do you know how this would be set up in general?

#18 ·
Do the failed PING-tests from the Notebook mean that the router itself can't get outside?
I thought those would only show, that the internet connection of the router is not passed through to the devices.

That's why I thought, maybe the router could be accessed from the interne…
On the upper left on this picture it shows everything's alright at least.
Font Rectangle Parallel Magenta Pattern

The problem is I don't really know, how to try this remote access function out. (something with DynamicDNS Servers from no-ip.com for example) Do you guys know any good guides for that?
Maybe this would even confirm causes, why this whole thing doesn't work?
Or do you think that's a waste of time?

#19 ·
Try to ping the router's WAN IP address. If successful you know the router does have a connection. If ping fails maybe no connection or maybe the router is set to not respond to pings.

Try the router's WAN address in a browser. If you get a page with request to login you're in business. If you don't get that maybe the router has no (working) connection or maybe it is set to not allow remote access (in my experience this is the default for most routers).

#21 ·
He did and was successful... I wonder if the Default gateway is 31.21.254.1? or 10.136.0.1? But since those IPs are on the router, it would make sense that they can ping it. It's figuring out the default gateway...

Hmm Carcas23, try tracert 8.8.8.8 in command prompt and let's see if it shows more than 5 IP addresses that the information goes to.

Is the router from the provider?
Okay, tracert 8.8.8.8 showed us this...
Font Rectangle Electronic device Pattern Parallel

So... two successful IP addresses... The rest were timeouts.

Yep, the Router is directly from the provider. Sadly we don't have another one here to try out whether it could be a device problem...

#22 ·
OK, so the first IP is the router and the second, 85.145.56.1, is T-Mobile. (note, we didn't see that info in the WAN section... so I am not sure how this is set up) I suspect the issue is on their end since it doesn't appear to be going past that IP... maybe authentication issue or something is up with that router. I would suggest contacting T-Mobile to check their side again and see if they can send a replacement router if they can't see anything their end

#23 ·
Hi again, sorry that it took me so long to answer…

So, just when we wanted to try out another router, my brother once again removed the power cable and waited a few minutes and tried it one last time.
He did it the same way as many times before.

But this time… Internet, yey! It seems that his provider changed or activated something on their end.

Thank you all for your help anyway! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.