Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram upgrade for a noob

604 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jarcollee 
#1 ·
Basiclly im new to the whole pc scene especially when it comes to ram, now im looking to upgrade im on an

Intel core 8th gen i5-8400 2.80ghz
Not sure about motherboard

Im looking to increase my ram from 8gb to 16gb but after reading i got a bit confused, what would be my best bet and what sort of things should i be looking for and keeping in mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, go to the corsair site; https://www.corsair.com/us/en/memoryfinder
Input the exact brand and model. You can also input the exact motherboard [if this is a custom build]
Once you find compatible memory, you can search for the best price.
Some high performance boards will allow you to run the memory at faster than native speed; 2666 for an 8xxx series. If you have a big box system, then no sense in purchasing faster memory since those are not performance motherboards.

#3 ·
Sorry what would you class as a "big box system" sorry like i said im new to all this and still not accustomed to the lingo? Lol.

Im on an alienware aroura R8
Mainboard intel coffee lake z370
Obviously the 8th gen i5 8400 2.80ghz

But again this confuses me as when i run the intel test it says

Expected: 2.80GHz
Reported: 3.80GHz

Which everyone and like you said i should be looking around the 2666GHz and its real confusing as to what all this acctually means, sorry i must sound like such a computer moron lol but i just cant make heads or tales of it.

But im gonna check out the link im just scared its gonna be more computer lingo i cant make sense of lol.

But thanks for the help i really appreciate it.

#5 ·
OK, you are confusing a lot of things;
Expected: 2.80GHz
Reported: 3.80GHz
That is processor speed; nothing to do with ram speed. The 8400 has a base clock of 2.8 and a max turbo speed of 4.0
Mainboard intel coffee lake z370
That is the chipset used on the motherboard NOT the make/model of motherboard
It seems that corsair's memory finder has gone way downhill. Use this site and input your make and model;
https://www.crucial.com/

#6 ·
can you see why i need help lol, this is why i needed to ask people in the know. I'm getting feed so much "information" which i was right for the most is obviously BS as I'm being told i have to match the processor speed and motherboard speed etc by some people then every test online gives me a completely different answer i mean i think i finally found the motherboard

Alienware 0R3FWM A00

But weather that right or not i don't know.

But thank you i really do appreciate it. I'll try it out.

#7 ·
IF u figure out which spec determines your compatible ram size or clock speed PLEASE let me know what the verdict is!! im in the same boat with the same problem on lenovo legion y740. crucial.com shows compatible upgrades BUT it only lists CRUCIAL BRAND and THAT HAS TO BE A LIE!! because it already has samsung ssd installed stock and Ramaxel ram installed. what is the determining factor of comaptibility overall????

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.