Tech Support Guy banner

Major League Baseball (MLB)

118K views 1K replies 12 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
Now that the Red Sox Pitchers and Catchers have reported to Spring Training camp in Florida this past Sunday, position players are scheduled to report no later than tomorrow, however, most have already reported, except notably for David Ortiz with a brand new contract.

It appears that Bobby Valentine (new Red Sox on-field Manager) is running a tight ship and the players are gung-ho for it.

Meanwhile in the off-season, the MLB rules have been modified for this coming season as follows:
MLB tweaks rule to prevent stalling for relievers.

-- Tom

#976 ·
Yep and I've been a big fan of Ohtani since he got here. He certainly walks the talk... (y)

He could be MVP and Cy Young in the same year... :eek: :cool:
Man that would be something.

I keep telling people; nobody alive has seen this. We are very lucky to witness it.

By the by....Trout and Ohtani? If you cant take it all, I mean....

#984 ·
(Hmm, I wonder what Tim thinks.. :eek: :cool: )

Answering the 'robo call': Isotopes adjust to automated calls of balls, strikes

On May 17 - and for the first time this week in Albuquerque - the Pacific Coast League is testing Major League Baseball's new "Automated Ball-Strike" system, a detailed computerized system designed to create a more consistent and accurate strike zone - charting the pitches and sending through an earpiece worn by the home plate umpire an audible "ball" or "strike" for him to then signal.
Line Font Parallel Screenshot Recreation

#987 ·
We went to a Eugene Emeralds baseball game yesterday and there were a couple of changes that I noticed. There are clocks in the outfield that show how many seconds a pitcher has before the pitch. Turns out it's 20 seconds in this league. And they show that there are two minutes for the change of teams in the inning. :cool:

#988 ·
Quotes from Yogi are always enlightening.... :cool:

"When you come to a fork in the road.... take it."
"You can observe a lot by just watching."
"It ain't over till it's over."
"We made too many wrong mistakes."
"No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded."
"I always thought the record would stand until it was broken."
"Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too."
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
"Pair up in threes."
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there."
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4."
"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be."
"You don't have to swing hard to hit a home run. If you got the timing, it'll go."
"Ninety percent of the game is half mental."
"Never answer an anonymous letter."
"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."
"Take it with a grin of salt."
"It gets late early out here."
"I never said most of the things I said."

#994 ·
Heard a tribute during the Rays/Tigers game, 'his voice was the song of baseball for the past 3 generations'....now, THAT is poetic as all get out...wish I had come up with it.

#996 ·
I grew up in LA and went to many games. Ticket price was $1.50 for bleacher seats and $3.25 for behind home plate. I think dugout seats were all of $5.
Vin Scully was a true gentleman.
Indeed. A very good description of him.

Been to a few stadiums in my years, nobody compared. Harry Caray was an embarrasment, but I didnt hit Wrigley until the Rockies first year.

#997 ·
I was on my patoot after a car crash for a few months, and Gibsons WS homer happened in that span...and to here him call it was as awesome as watching Gibson hit it. :)

#1,001 ·
One dodger/giant game I saw an unbelievable play made by Willi Mays
Mays always played pretty shallow in center field since he was so quick. Jim Gilliam hit a line drive to deep center. Mays running backwards made the catch over the shoulder at the warning track. Frank Howard was on third and tagged up. Mays turned and fired at home plate. One bounce from the warning track and threw out Howard at the plate. Vin Scully was in awe over this feat. Mays even got a round of applause from the LA fans.

#1,003 ·
Man, just to see Willie play would have been awesome. Arguably one of the best players to step inside the lines.

I was a couple years back of you, and while Dad was a Dodgers fan, moms dad wasnt (spent childhood in Brooklyn, and detests the Dodgers for leaving...he did get to the Show for two weeks as a player, as the story goes)(we are a baseball family, dad played semi pro, got up to double A), but he was of the Angels and Ive still been to more Angels game than any other sporting team.

Carew, Baylor, and Ryan man...