Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dual boot windows 10 home with ubuntu OS

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  mohittomar13 
#1 ·
Hello

I need to dual boot windows 10 home with Ubuntu OS, but i am unable to do it tried many times by following many websites.

here is my laptop configuration!!

DELL
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 12
RAM: 16191 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 200 GB (148 GB Free); D: 217 GB (209 GB Free); E: 39 GB (39 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0DKM3T
Harddisk: SSD

#2 ·
After Windows is installed you install Ubuntu and the dual boot will be set up (defaulting to Ubuntu), unless Microsoft has managed to defeat that with Windows 10.

Maybe you could describe what you do and what goes wrong. Maybe reference one of those web sites.

#8 ·
You need to have a separate partition on your system for installing a second OS. Win-10 must have been installed on Drive C by default. Just make sure that the entire HDD is not taken up by the C drive. If there is no extra partition then make an extra partition where you can then install Ubunutu OS. Now for partitioning the HDD there are numerous applications available. Gparted is what I would recommend as it is the safest way however, you can try to do that using windows - 10 inbuit capabilites check here (this is also I would consider safe).

The image you have attached shows the option for installing the boot loader not the OS. Boot loader is what would be loaded first before loading the OS in the memory and therefore it should reside on the Disk itself rather than on any Partition. In ubuntu BL is called Grub. So the system is showing /dev/sda as the correct location for installing the BL.

So to summarise:
  1. Check if your system has an extra partition
  2. If it does then try installing OS on that extra partition
  3. If not then create an extra partition (use any application from above)
  4. When the system asks about where to install the GRUB or Bootloader select /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1
  5. If you still face problem, then let us know.
I hope this would solve your problem. :)

#9 ·
Only applicable if you are mid to pro ubuntu user:

Make 2 extra partitions not 1. As you are performing a clean install so this is the right time to do it. Use the first parition for installing OS and the second as your home directory. In case if you need to do a clean install in the future then your Home directory would be untouched and you can reattach it to the newly installed OS. This is what I do and I have done 2 clean installs with all my files intact.

You can do it later too but that is just a little complicated.

#10 ·
Hello
Thanks for the answer, actually my laptop is SSD configured not normal HDD configuration. And i did partitions using disk management i do have free space, i don't know why I am not getting options to select anything under Installation type( the one I shared screenshot).

I should get options to select such as

1. Install ubuntu along side windows
2. Erase
3. Something else.

Not getting any of the above options.

#13 ·
It coult be.

check this too. My internet is having trouble from the past few days and the ISP was telling that it may take this week to get it fixed. I couln't go through the above threads. Sorry. :(:eek:
The speeds are below 10Kbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.