Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDMI __ input port - or - output port on laptop

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have had my desktop Dell, with Windows 8.1, well over 10 years, and now it has been hanging up after only a few minutes of booting up -- sometimes giving me a BSoD . I've spent many hours with different kinds of 'fixes' (which the computer couldn't eventually fix), 'refreshing' of the system', etc. I've given up on it . There are probably too many system errors to try and fix with outside-the-system apps, so I'm not going to even bother with it anymore .

S P E C S :
PRODUCT ID : 00258-61882-78497-AAOEM
PROCESSOR : Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60 GHz 3.60 GHz
INSTALLED RAM : 8.00 GB
SYSTEM TYPE : 64-bit operating system, 64-based processor

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

However, I do have an HP Notebook, with Windows 10 Home (HP 15 with 4gb of installed Ram) that works perfectly .
I want to use the Desktop DELL monitor (which still works great) as a second monitor, because it is much larger than the Notebook computer screen .

S P E C S :
HP 15 NOTEBOOK PC

DEVICE NAME : DESKTOP-EIKBN1F
PROCESSOR : Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60 GHz 1.60 GHz
INSTALLED RAM : 4.00 GB (3.86 GB usable)
DEVICE ID : 6B158827-2DA5-48AD-899E-FO1CAD66BA17
PRODUCT ID : 00325-80000-00000-AAOEM

SYSTEM TYPE : 64-bit operating system, 64-based processor
- - - - - - - - - -
WINDOWS 10 HOME
VERSION : 1803
OS BUILD : 17134.950

I have an HDMI cable that works perfectly .
I plugged one end of it into my HDMI port on the Notebook, and the other end of the cable to the DELL monitor's HDMI port .

In the Control Panel settings for multiple monitors, I clicked on the number 2 for single monitor only -- clicked on the 'detect' button -- and it came back as "could not detect a device" . I rechecked both ends for a tight connection . . . and they were snug .
Still I couldn't get the Notebook to detect another device (the DELL monitor)

QUESTION :
I am wondering if the Notebook's HDMI port is an incoming signal only . . . what say you ?

See less See more
#2 ·
A computers HDMI port be it a laptop, notebook or desktop is - a output port
that is so in all cases

Follow the procedure here
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03504591

selecting HDMI and Windows 10
pay particular attention to resolution settings for the dell monitor

#4 ·
The old desktop monitor's VGA cable was already plugged into the old desktop computer when I was trying to use the HDMI cable and getting no results :

Question :
* is that wrong ?
* Was the fact that the desktop monitor still being hooked up to the old desktop computer interfering with the HDMI setup, or should the VGA cable be hooked up to the laptop NOTEBOOK as well ?

(note : I don't think I have a port to connect the VGA cable to the laptop NOTEBOOK)
. . . the end that's hooked up now to the desktop monitor has 2 screws attached to it, to keep the cable secured to its port . . .

http://www.puzzlegrail.com/HP-Laptop-Ports.html

#6 ·
OK . . . I've got the external monitor to work off my HP Notebook laptop . . . now . . . I can't seem to get the HP Notebook laptop to detect the external keyboard & mouse that was used for the DELL desktop .

The external keyboard & unifying receiver are Logitech . . . they worked flawlessly when they were hooked up to the DELL desktop, but the HP Notebook doesn't acknowledge them .

How can I get it to work ?

#9 ·
Searching on the web for the mouse I found the following. Make sure that there is not a sorta hidden "connect" button.

Connect your device to a Logitech USB receiver
  1. Plug the Unifying receiver into a USB port on your computer.
  2. Press the connect button on the bottom of the mouse.
  3. Run the Unifying software to pair your device to the receiver and follow the instructions on your screen. If you don't have the Logitech Unifying software, you can download it.
May 30, 2017

Also found this sorry excuse for a Logitech M185 User Manual. I had to download it (to a pdf file to read it. It also mentions the Unifying software (with a URL), but says nothing about a connect button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.