Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram slots not agreeing/not working

869 views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  Jedimasterjones 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8180 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 280x Series, -1024 Mb actually 3 gig
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (89 GB Free); D: 930 GB (219 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gateway, IPISB-VR
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hi my motherboard is a piece of junk i hate it.
okay sry abou thtat this board has caused nothing but issues since 2012 and on up 50+ blue screens not kidden most realted to ram slot isses like memory management failures.
the 2 slots that are empty close to the cpu socket uh dont work anymore as of 2013 all i did was put in a cpu cooler thats it. i took the board out cause the 1 in the picture was a pain to install.
if i put ram in them slots the pc turns on but wont post its a long 2 second beep constant
i dont know w hat happend i got new ram for it to get my 8 gigs back but im stuck in single channel mode
i made sure i was grounded the whole time for extra safe measures ya know. its annoying. i would like to have my dual channel back cause i stream on my youtube channel.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Jedimasterjones,

i got new ram for it to get my 8 gigs back but im stuck in single channel mode
For dual channel to work when you have two sticks of RAM both sticks have to be in the corresponding slots, in this instance that would be the two black slots, we will call them slots A1 and B1, the two blue slots we will call slots A2 and B2, dual channel will sometimes work when only populating A2 and B2 with two sticks of RAM but some MBs do not like it and can either fail the power on self test or cause constant BSOD.

Short version, dual channel mode is not possible to achieve when two sticks of RAM are placed in different channels on a MB that has four memory slots.

#3 ·
Hello Jedimasterjones,

For dual channel to work when you have two sticks of RAM both sticks have to be in the corresponding slots, in this instance that would be the two black slots, we will call them slots A1 and B1, the two blue slots we will call slots A2 and B2, dual channel will sometimes work when only populating A2 and B2 with two sticks of RAM but some MBs do not like it and can either fail the power on self test or cause constant BSOD.

Short version, dual channel mode is not possible to achieve when two sticks of RAM are placed in different channels on a MB that has four memory slots.
My question is how did they fail tho I tested with a voltage meter and them 2 empty slots have power in spots and no power in spots. Could it be a memory controller on CPU go bad or the slots go bad.

#4 ·
I have a computer with memory management issues.
One channel completely dead.

One of TSG's advisors pointed out that memory management occurs in the CPU.
Not a common problem, but on a search I found CPU memory management issues at various help sites.

So, it may not necessarily be a motherboard problem.

On my computer in question, the channel that still works can do ten passes with Memtest86 +, https://www.memtest.org/ , with out a failure,
which relates to a 15 hour test.

So I'm still using it for non critical tasks and uses.

#5 ·
No idea as to what may have caused the two slots to have failed (if they have) tbh, dust or corrosion causing a bad contact perhaps.

What happens if you try both stick in the black slots and likewise both sticks in the blue slots.

Test your CPU with the Intel diagnostic tool which you can download from here the memory controller is checked as part of the testing, if the CPU gets a pass there is nothing wrong with the memory controller.

#7 ·
What happens if you try both stick in the black slots and likewise both sticks in the blue slots.
Can you answer the above for us, in your OP you only mention that placing RAM in the first two slots by the CPU "the pc turns on but wont post its a long 2 second beep constant" which could be down to one of the sticks being in the wrong slot.

#13 ·
I have read if the CPU socket pins were bent during CPU installation it can cause ram sockets not to work. Also a standoff under the board in the wrong place touching the circuits can cause such issues.

#17 ·
Using Speccy, both channels ( all 4 slots ) of mine were recognized.
I couldn't find an app to test an AMD cpu memory controller, however.
In my situation the computer is an older Phenom ll 840T and I don't see any financial justification in investing in a motherboard and/or a cpu.

Good luck.

#19 ·
You would be wise to edit out your Windows product key from the Speccy report that you uploaded
Jedimasterjones, the suggestion was that you should check yourself if all four slots were detected and not to upload anything here, apologies if I wasn`t clear on this.

It is odd that all four slots are detected but two clearly not working, long shot but try disconnecting the computer from the power outlet, press the case power button to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the CMOS battery from the MB and leaving it out for ten minutes or so, replace the battery back in the board, reassemble with the RAM in the two black slots, power up and see if there is any change, see attachment for additional info.

NB: I noticed that you have the Windows Power Plan set to High Performance, not a good idea as it is a form of overclocking that can cause instability and/or overheating, suggest that you change the setting to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan.

Attachments

#21 ·
No problem, any chance that you can meanwhile delete the Speccy log from your reply #17 above, we could see that the four slots were detected and it is important that your Windows product key is kept safe.

As an asides, when researching the MB details I noticed that it came in two versions, four slots like your board and another version with only two memory slots, I wonder if there was an underlying issue with the four slot version and they changed the boards that they had left to the two memory slot type, pure speculation but one does wonder, two slot version of the board here

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.