Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VPN Virtual Private Network

Solved 
911 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
I've been reading a bit about "VPN" but I'm not sure it's for an ole' retired farmer who doesn't have many secrets anymore (my wife keeps a good eye on me). I do a bit of on-line shopping but only with well known companies. I pay my monthly bills on-line and I often access my bank accounts. I use quite complicated passwords and change my bank password twice rearly. I also have "Identity Theft Insurance" from my local Insurance provider which covers me and my wife for about $50.00 per year. You might want to inquire about this from your insurance carrier?

Question: Do you use a VPN?, do you think I should? Thanks: Dave

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 16322 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (156 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H81M-E
Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
VPN's are for protecting your privacy mainly. For example, your internet service provider company knows every little detail about you, where you go surfing online, what you looked at, what bank you deal with and so on. That's because you go through their network to reach the internet. A VPN encrypts that first leg of your journey, going through your ISP, so they won't see a thing. They could only see that you are connecting to a VPN.

Usually a VPN service allows you to use their service on several devices. So for example you can install their cell phone app and use it on your cell phone. A VPN is even more important for a cell phone. Because when you connect to a hotspot like at Starbucks, Everybody in that store can see where you are going, including that hacker sitting in the corner.

#4 · (Edited)
To add more color around this discussion around "VPNs", the term has been entirely distorted by companies marketing their services. VPN stands for virtual private networking. The function of a VPN is to create an encrypted tunnel between two points. The use of VPNs is done to provide secure communications between two points over an untrusted network. So keep this in mind. In the beginning, businesses used this technology to allow communication between branch offices or remote employees to main offices over the Internet which we all agree is a very untrusted network.

Over time people figured out that they could also use this technology as a way to provide a launch point for subscribers to touch the Internet with a different identifier. What I mean as identifier is the public IP address which everyone gets when they're communicating on any given network. Your ISP assigns one to you and that IP address can provide specific information about you. It won't give information such as your name directly. But can eventually be traced back to you. These so called VPN services use VPN technology to create a secure tunnel from your computer to their network. From there, they repackage your Internet traffic to look as if it is coming from them directly and then drop it on the Internet. This is why the correct term for these services of which I will use is proxy services. The key thing to recognize is your Internet traffic is only "secured" between you and the proxy service. After that, when the proxy service drops your Internet traffic on the Internet, it's just as unsecured as it was if you just bypassed the use of the proxy service.

There are many reasons why one would use a proxy service. Cookiegal has alluded to some things which are illegal in nature. So I won't go into them. The other two reasons are to prevent your ISP from seeing your traffic or if you're at some public place using an untrusted public hotspot. The last reason is more legitimate use of these proxy services as I don't see any other proper use for these services. The marketing makes you think you're more secure using these services when surfing the Internet. This is totally false. If you have bad surfing habits where you touch questionable sites, you're still going to be at risk even using a proxy service. If you are doing banking, your bank has already instituted a secure method for you to do your transactions over the Internet. It's called SSL (secure sockets layer). When you see the padlock next to the URL, this tells you your communications are encrypted to this site. You can go further by clicking on the pad lock to examine the certificate being used. Typically the certificate is issued by a trusted authority such as Verisign. Remember what I said about the function of a VPN? Having an SSL session is creating a secure connection between your browser to the web server at the other end; in my example the bank. You don't need a proxy to do this.

The use of a proxy can also impact performance. I can get into a whole another discussion about why this is the case which is outside the scope of your question.

This question comes up many times on here. I really think my discussion above should be pinned on this security sub forum and the networking one. There are so many misconceptions of what proxies actually provide you and I've gotten into many debates with people on this.

#6 ·
To add more color around this discussion around "VPNs", the term has been entirely distorted by companies marketing their services. VPN stands for virtual private networking. The function of a VPN is to create an encrypted tunnel between two points. The use of VPNs is done to provide secure communications between two points over an untrusted network. So keep this in mind. In the beginning, businesses used this technology to allow communication between branch offices or remote employees to main offices over the Internet which we all agree is a very untrusted network.

Over time people figured out that they could also use this technology as a why to provide a launch point for subscribers to touch the Internet with a different identifier. What I mean as identifier is the public IP address which everyone gets when they're communicating on any given network. Your ISP assigns one to you and that IP address can provide specific information about you. It won't give information such as your name directly. But can eventually be traced back to you. These so called VPN services use VPN technology to create a secure tunnel from your computer to their network. From there, they repackage your Internet traffic to look as if it is coming from them directly and then drop it on the Internet. This is why the correct term for these services of which I will use is proxy services. The key thing to recognize is your Internet traffic is only "secured" between you and the proxy service. After that, when the proxy service drops your Internet traffic on the Internet, it's just as unsecured as it was if you just bypassed the use of the proxy service.

There are many reasons why one would use a proxy service. Cookiegal has alluded to some things which are illegal in nature. So I won't go into them. The other two reasons are to prevent your ISP from seeing your traffic or if you're at some public place using an untrusted public hotspot. The last reason is more legitimate use of these proxy services as I don't see any other proper use for these services. The marketing makes you think you're more secure using these services when surfing the Internet. This is totally false. If you have bad surfing habits where you touch questionable sites, you're still going to be at risk even using a proxy service. If you are doing banking, your bank has already instituted a secure method for you to do your transactions over the Internet. It's called SSL (secure sockets layer). When you see the padlock next to the URL, this tells you your communications are encrypted to this site. You can go further by clicking on the pad lock to examine the certificate being used. Typically the certificate is issued by a trusted authority such as Verisign. Remember what I said about the function of a VPN? Having an SSL session is creating a secure connection between your browser to the web server at the other end; in my example the bank. You don't need a proxy to do this.

The use of a proxy can also impact performance. I can get into a whole another discussion about why this is the case which is outside the scope of your question.

This question comes up many times on here. I really think my discussion above should be pinned on this security sub forum and the networking one. There are so many misconceptions of what proxies actually provide you and I've gotten into many debates with people on this.
Thank you very much for this information. It's quite obvious to me that a lot of people can and probably do use VPN for nathiorous purposes.
I asked my question here because I have great respect/trust for this forum and what the people on here have taught me in the almost 20 years that I have been a member here. I like the fact that illegal matters are not discussed here. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.