Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird Issue

Solved 
3K views 50 replies 5 participants last post by  SeanLaurence 
#1 ·
Hello,

So today I was on my computer all morning. I was playing a game, checking email, surfing the web, etc. I often multitask with no issues. As I was switching between windows I accidentally clicked on netflix. No big deal, and as soon as the window opened up, I closed it. A few seconds later my screen went completely green. I tried alt-tabbing thinking it had something to do with netflix, but to no avail. I simply became impatient and held the power button in to shut it down. Pressed the button again to boot it back up but I now have no picture. I've tried rebooting quite a few times now. First few times it shows the motherboard logo when booting but nothing after that, and now it isn't even showing that anymore.

I'm not a pro, but very fluent with computers and I built my current rig myself. EVGA motherboard, power supply, ram and CPU cooler. GTX 1070TI graphic card.

Any suggestions please? I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

#3 ·
That didn't work. I have a reset button on my motherboard for the cmos so I've held it for 30 seconds and now waiting 15 mins to reinstall battery. I'm assuming to do this with the power cord disconnected? I've tried with it connected but it automatically boots once I let go of the reset button.

#4 ·
It could be many things at this point. Since you said your screen went green, I would suspect your video card, monitor or cable. Make sure that everything is plugged in well, and maybe test the display on another PC if you have one on hand. If you know the monitor & cable are good, try a different video card if you can. Otherwise, you could be looking at a busted Power supply or Motherboard.
Always start with simple and cheap (loose cables) and work your way down to expensive and rare (Dead motherboard) . Power supplies are cheaper than GPU's.

#5 ·
I read on another forum that the motherboard will go to A2 code if the cmos was reset and to hit F1 to skip bios setup or F12 to go into setup. I hit F1 and it went past A2 and is now showing a cpu temperature of 31° C which seems really low when it’s usually around 37° to 38°. Still shows nothing on my screen (I have it plugged into my TV via HDMI) and if I press the power button it shuts off immediately without having to hold the button in. Guess I'll have to take it in somewhere and have it checked out.

#9 ·
Hard drive is plugged in, I unplugged my other two drives that don't have windows but now it says 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert media........'. I went into bios and it shows the right drive as the first boot device but still won't boot into windows.

#15 ·
If you can get back into your BIOS, you can try finding "Safe" defauts. You may even try Underclocking your system just to get it running.
I would no rule out some kind of damage on the MB, but perhaps it can all be resolved with BIOS settings.
You can also try Optimised defaults.
I actually JUST got it into safe mode and it's working in safe mode. What should I look for? Delete files I recently downloaded? Could a virus have caused this?

#16 ·
A couple of clarifaictions: I was referring to changing your BIOS settings to the Safe defaults as opposed to starting windows in Safe mode.
Strictly speaking, downloading a file by itself cannot infect a system, you would have to execute the program or open the file with an application for a virus to take hold.

Do try to get back in the BIOS and set the overclocking settings to Safe defaults. Reboot a few times to safe mode to be sure that it is stable, and then try a normal boot.
If normal boot fails, and safe boot works, then use msconfig to disable all programs on startup and all non microsoft services.
If you suspect Malware, then I recommend using ADWcleaner to scan and clean your system.

#17 ·
A couple of clarifaictions: I was referring to changing your BIOS settings to the Safe defaults as opposed to starting windows in Safe mode.
Strictly speaking, downloading a file by itself cannot infect a system, you would have to execute the program or open the file with an application for a virus to take hold.

Do try to get back in the BIOS and set the overclocking settings to Safe defaults. Reboot a few times to safe mode to be sure that it is stable, and then try a normal boot.
If normal boot fails, and safe boot works, then use msconfig to disable all programs on startup and all non microsoft services.
If you suspect Malware, then I recommend using ADWcleaner to scan and clean your system.
I knew what you meant about bios safe settings, I was loading into safe mode as your reply came through, lol.

All overclock settings are on defaults and always have been (I've never overclocked my system). I downloaded and ran the program you suggested and it did remove quite a bit. Thanks!

I turned off some startup programs and rebooted but still froze on Windows welcome screen. So I went back to safe mode and rebooted with only services and basic components checked and it froze on the welcome screen. Then tried with only services and it still freezes when trying to load windows.

#18 ·
Since ADWCleaner found and cleaned "Quite a Bit", I suggest using Malwarebytes core product to see if it finds more stuff lurking on your system:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
You get a 14 day realtime monitor trial with it. I always turn that off after scanning and cleaning, so that it does not bother me to purchase.

If you need to go deeper after that, you can try
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
Be carefull with this one, it allows you to disable anything and everything that starts with your windows. If you are not sure about something, then google it.

#20 ·
It does become less likely that it is a hardware issue if everything is fine in safe mode.
BUT, you are not taxing your system particularly. For instance, if you have a ram issue, you might not be attempting to use the problem area of ram while in safe mode.
You might want to test your ram:
https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/
Or have a look at your hard drive heath
https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Have you tried changing your BIOS to "Optimal Defaults?"

You can also try this tool to check and repair windows with MS's own tools.
http://wureset.com

If all else fails, you can do a "Reset Install" - just be aware you will need to re-install all your programs.

#21 ·
The crystalmark program you suggested found no issues with the drives, but when I ran chkdsk on the windows drive it stayed at 20% for about half an hour before automatically rebooting. I wasn't paying attention near the end, so it's possible it quickly went to 100% after finishing at 20% but I find that very unlikely with how long it was there for. So maybe that drive is no good? Is there a different program which could tell for sure? Or is there a way to try booting windows separately from that drive?

#23 ·
Computer Personal computer Font Operating system Software
After following the instructions on the link you sent, nothing was found when searching for the chkdsk log. I have rerun chkdsk and this time I noticed it reboots after hanging on 20% for a while and say 100% upon reboot. It then freezes while loading windows.

Back in safe mode I searched around event viewer and saw what is in the image I included. Not sure if it means anything or not.

#24 ·
That appears to be a log from yesterday evening.
Use these instructions to look at today's scan results:
  1. In the Event Viewer expand the Windows Logs
  2. Select the Application log.
  3. Right Click the Application log and select Find
  4. Type wininit in the box and click Find Next
  5. In the middle pane click the Source/wininit line that is found.
  6. In the south pane, you will see the complete log for the latest Check Disk (CHKDSK).
  7. Search for winint again to find previous Check Disk Logs

#26 ·
Hmm, I can see the log on my machine. Are you running chkdsk in safe mode?
Perhaps it only logs it when told to run on startup.
Try chkdsk /f /x and say yes to scheduling to run on startup. There Is an event logging service that is probably not running in safe mode
There is another way to find the wininit events in the Applicatioon log. Select "Filter Current Log" on the left (when you are in application log) and Type (or select) Wininit for the "event sources:"
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

#29 ·
There should be a bios setting that will turn off that badass picture from the manufacturer so that you can see startup messages. The BIOS will also tell you that it can see the hard drive.
Do you have windows 10 installation media? The next step boot from that and reinistall windows fresh - ie format and repartition the drive as you re-install.

#30 ·
Sorry, been really busy.

So I deleted all partitions from the main windows drive and booted from a bootable windows USB. It started installing windows and froze shortly after. Still freezes on boot. So now is it safe to say it's just the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.