Not open for further replies.

Device Manager Error

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  sette488 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a question about the following error
I discovered in my Device Manager:

The message reads:

The hardware was not installed because the
wizard cannot find the necessary software.

? Other devices
? Ethernet Controller
? SM Bus Controller
? Video Controller
? Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I wanted to figure out how I can go about
fixing these errors. I'm using a Dell computer
with Windows Service Pack 2 installed.

Thank you

#4 ·
If it;s the same Dell in a previous post (OptiPlex GX620) then here are the drivers page. Change the Category to Chipset and download the first one (marked urgent). If the computer does not have internet access, then you will need download it onto a usb drive and install it that way

#6 ·
Hi, Just want to say thanks for all your help. And yes,
this is a continuation of a thread that I started on June 11th. about a Dell OptiPlex GX620.

I tried to install the drivers as you suggested from
Dell's driver download page. The chipset installed okay.

But I couldn't seem to get any of the other drivers to install.

So I installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 and tried again.
But that didn't work either.

Then I tried to install Dell's Support Assist Installer. When I opened it up it just says it's evaluating my PC hardware and software to make sure it can run Support Assist. Depending on the speed of your PC this installion can take several minutes.

I let it run for over an hour and still nothing happened.

So any advice you can suggest about what I can do from this point will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#8 ·
Hello,

I was able to install this: R97582.EXE (Ethernet Controller)

But I noticed I got an error message saying:

Local Area Connection 2 Network Cable Unplugged,
Broadcom NetXtreme 57

I checked my cables but I didn't find anything unplugged
and my Internet connection was still working. So I'm not sure
what to do about that message.

Thank you,

#9 ·
This will be the Ethernet cord that would need to be connected to a router or modem. If you do not have this cable connected, then this is normal.

What is the service tag of the machine? If you cannot see the service tag, go to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. You should see a 7 digit number, which is your serial tag.

#10 ·
Good Morning, the computer I'm having these problems with is hooked up to another computer on a router. And I can access the Internet on both of them. So the Ethernet cord is connected.

But on the task bar it shows 2 Local Area Networks. Number one is working but where it says Local Area Network 2 there's a big red X.

So I really don't know if that has anything to do with why I can't seem to open up Broadcom NetXtreme 57.

I also got the serial number you asked for:

It's 7LD4VB1

I re-checked my device manager and noticed there's only 3 yellow question marks showing.
I've uploaded an image so you can take a look at it.

Thanks again

Attachments

#11 ·
#12 ·
Well Dell doesn't have anything other than the BIOS firmware listed on your Serial Tag.

For the Video adapters listed, it may be fine to leave them alone, but it may affect other programs.

Double click on one and then under the details tab, select Hardware IDs and confirm the VEN and DEV numbers, for example:

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

This way, I can get you the correct driver.

As to the Ethernet, does this machine have 2 Ethernet slots?

In Device Manager, click on the Network Adapters and see what devices show there.

#13 ·
Hello,

To answer why I hooked up my problem computer to another computer.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear, because what I meant to say is that I have 2 computers and they're both hooked up to a router.

The next thing was about having 2 Local Area Networks.

I've uploaded an image so you can see that one network is working and the other one isn't.

After that you asked me to select the Hardware IDs and confirm the VEN and DEV numbers: So for the Video Controller I've uploaded an image with the numbers on it.

And for the second one where it says Video Controller (VGA Compatible) The number is: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2772&SUBSYS_01AD1028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&10

As for the Ethernet question, I do have 2 Ethernet slots.

I also went into Device Manager, and clicked on the Network Adapters and uploaded an image that as well.
Blue Rectangle Cloud Font Screenshot
Computer Cloud Azure Personal computer Rectangle
Cloud Azure Blue Computer Personal computer

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.