Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

256 GB (crucial M550 2.5 SSD) win 8.1 64bit high pitch whine

Solved 
399 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bartog 
#1 ·
Thinkpad x200 I use with 2 HD one is a 160 GB spinny disk with win 7 pro 32bit, the other is the 256GB 64bit SSD with win 8.1
When the 256 SSD is in use there is a extremely high pitch noise, the 160GB spinny disk HD is silent in operation.
Could this be the fact that with the 32 bit OS only 2.96 GB of the 4 GB ram is used and with the 64bit OS all 4GB are used ?
Is it the RAM whining ?

#3 ·
It's not the fan as its noise is unique and not constant. The high pitch noise is constant and there only with the 8.1 HD. Weird. When the off board CDRW is used with 64bit trisquel 8.0 there's no whine. The same with puppy linux on USB.
x200 has been bomb proof and silent up to now. I keep the fan and air flow clear.
I suppose it could be the laptops age although it is a 64bit machine.

#5 ·
I now think the cause is the inverter board and as Oddba11 suggests, 'power related'.

When the SSD is in the x200 the only way to lessen the high pitch whine is to adjust the screen brightness. Strangely it gives the lowest whine at about 75% brightness.

The inverter board and screen were changed a few years ago by a local pc repair shop due to screen problems. (I forgot this when starting the thread).

For silent running it's better to use the 160GB spinny Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.