Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Simple Photo Program

Solved 
1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SeanLaurence 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a photo program similar to Adobe.

When Adobe first came out, it was simple, easy to use, and I was able to work on photos for Ebay, genealogical purposes (restoration), etc.

The newer versions of Adobe are time-consuming, more than I need. Some of it seems like a lot of hype (lack of a better word).

I also don't want a 50 page manual on how to crop/edit pictures.

This phenomena also has seemed to spread to small digital cameras (I have to work through 10 screens to take a picture) with another 45 page manual online and ditto for "computerized" sewing machines but that's another forum.

Thanks! :)

#4 · (Edited)
Which Adobe ????
Photoshop or Photoshop Elements ??
Photoshop Elements performs performs about 99% of the image editing chores of Photoshop.
What's missing in Elements are web design tools, Animation tools .. etc...
My Basic Image editor is Irfanview
With Irfanview and Photoshop Elements ... You'll have both ends covered ...
Basic and Advanced.

What brand "computerized sewing machine" .... Janome Embroidery lives here also :D

#5 ·
Thank you for your replies. :)

I have Paint.net. I just don't see where I can increase pixels re the pictures.

It would be Photoshop Elements (from the past) that I'm familiar with.

I checked out a Brother sewing machine; it had so many possible situations (technical problems) people wrote up about plus the giant manual.

Right now looking for an old-fashioned manual sewing machine (not easy!) that would also have some features to do quilting.

#7 ·
The only reason I can think of for needed an Image Editor for a sewing machine is to digitize Embroidery Patterns. I have used Photoshop to create a limited color/thread Image for Janome's Digitizer. But the results are only Hobbyist quality. Anything better requires a really big buck digitizer.
And I had to buy additional pattern software ... For pattern viewing/conversion.
It was a keep a happy wife requirement thing :D

I'm thinking you should have kept Elements (depending how old)
It's been a really long time since adobe has added anything new that's worth Upgrading/Paying for.
Last time it was Content-Aware Fill ... First available in Elements - not Photoshop.

Careful ... Some of the newer adobe software only works in W10

I think Irfanview can do what you mentioned ... But Elements is easier to use as mentioned by Sean.
Keyboard shortcuts are life savers in adobe ... My left hand is usually as busy as my mouse hand.

If you're thinking about increasing Image Detail by adding/increasing pixels ... That's not possible.
Adding twice as many pixels only looks the same Quality/Detail when viewed at twice the distance...
But doesn't make the image better.

#8 ·
It's been a really long time since adobe has added anything new that's worth Upgrading/Paying for.
Last time it was Content-Aware Fill ... First available in Elements - not Photoshop.
Um.... You seem to have forgotten about Lightroom. :D It is something Adobe updates quite
regularly. I know it isn't something the OP would purchase considering his initial comments.
As you know it's well advanced as far as Elements and Photoshop are concerned or any other
2 digit or lower priced editor is concerned. . :sneaky:

#9 ·
Thank you for the tip on how to scale the picture up on Paint.net. I will give it a try.

I do have a question; if increasing the number of pixels doesn't do the image any good (clarity) then what is the option used for?

I also tried retrieving an old picture from a website that I had posted; I can't get it to resize clearly (the image is distorted). All the pictures I posted are like that. But this is another issue.

With computerized sewing machines, when the machine doesn't function properly, it seems it costs way more to fix than the actual machine is worth. It's also almost impossible to get into the machine to tinker and I think it might also void out any warranties (from what I've gleaned from reading feedback).

#10 · (Edited)
... if increasing the number of pixels doesn't do the image any good (clarity) then what is the option used for?
Reduce pixelation.
One example ...
Take a low res picture .. And blow it up for a large wall picture to be seen at a distance.
Close up, It would look horrible (Pixelated) if not "enlarged"
At a distance .... It will look the same as the original when viewed closer.

Only in Hollywood, NCIS, can they enlarge a license plate picture taken miles away, increase the resolution, then read it.

You can never retrieve or re-create pixels (the detail) that were lost or never acquired.
NASA probably has some good "Pixel Detail Guessing" software but I doubt any of us can afford it

#11 ·
Gimp is far from simple! I looked at it and quit.
I use IrfanView to edit pictures.
Though if a picture is taken at a small resolution, you can't increase the size and create more pixels, no matter what program you choose.

I'm a picture taker, not a photographer. I know what you mean by digital cameras increasing the menus and complexity. The newest camera loses all the info when I need to change batteries. Then I need to go through everything and make the same choices again.
My old digital camera doesn't seem to lose info. Plus it has a view finder, something newer cameras lack. I gave away 1 camera because in bright light, I couldn't tell on the LCD screen what I was taking a picture of. I rarely use the digital cameras. I grab a tablet or phone to take a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.