Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bios access ignored

Solved 
2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  lynx1021 
#1 ·
Running HP TouchSmart 300 upgraded from Win7 to Win 10. Upgrade did not remove problem. Upon power up, cannot access bios, I.e. setup, boot seq., recovery etc. Boots directly into O.S. Everything works in both 7 and 10. No effect pressing F keys and/or esc. Removed and replaced cmos battery with no help. HP no help. Cannot find newer version of bios or any version of bios. Would on occasion like to be able to change boot sequence. Original hard drive crashed and replaced with new drive and installed O.S.

#2 ·
Running HP TouchSmart 300 upgraded from Win7 to Win 10. Upgrade did not remove problem.
Everything works in both 7 and 10.
What's the exact model number(M/N) and serial number(S/N) on your "HP TouchSmart 300"?

Did you upgrade it from Windows 7 to Windows 10, or is it running both Windows 7 and Windows 10?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Pc is Touchsmart 300 sn 3cr9392f5b.
The serial number that you submitted was "not found".
You possibly misread the next to the last character which is actually the letter S instead of the number 5.
If that's correct, you have this HP TouchSmart 300-1025 Desktop PC which was purchased in February 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

This is the HP article on how to configure the boot order in the BIOS.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Thank you for doing the research, however, I know all of that info on how to configure the BIOS and perhaps I wasn’t clear.....I cannot access the bios, i.e. function keys, esc, and any other keys for getting to “recovery” “setup” or “boot sequence” are ignored; the PC boots directly to Windows 10. Fast pressing, holding down, removing CMOS battery all have no effect.

#7 ·
Hello...sorry for delay. Some trouble navigating this site, somewhat convoluted. Pressing F10 does not help, nor does F8 for safe mode. It seems like the PC is not booting any bios at all and does not even see the key presses. Just goes to Windows O.S. Is there some secret partition etc. that HP puts that info? Occasionally, I somehow get a screen where windows did not boot correctly and asks to choose normal or repair mode startup, BUT, not able to choose and pc counts down and starts normally. This screen ignores key presses as well. I think I saw something on HP site about a tool downloaded to a flash drive to check boot or UEFI (?). Thanks in advance....

#9 · (Edited)
From HP: "To open the BIOS Setup utility, turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the BIOS setup utility screen opens". This will probably only work in windows 7. Windows 10 has a different way of accessing the Bios. This is a link to your Windows 7 drivers and Bios: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...-1000-desktop-pc-series/4002827/model/4007377
There were no drivers for windows 10.
Bios settings from HP:https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03242719

#11 ·
I must have missed how it was resolved???

#13 ·
ok THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.