Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutting cost for watching tv

969 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Johnny b 
#1 ·
my cable/internet company is gouging me, big time. I got a smart tv last Christmas and need to know if I can cut the cable cord by using individual tv station apps on it. can any one help me get started?

#2 ·
In order to use the apps....you'll need an internet connection and pay for the service of said app. Essentially you want your TV to become a streaming device like Roku which you'll still need a internet connection to use. With in Roku you have apps and some of those are free but most are a paid service.

#3 ·
The question would be what shows are you looking to watch via internet?

Also consider a Amazon TV Recast for local TV with an HD antenna. You pay for the box that will record as well as do LiveTV.
You may need FireStick and/or Amazon prime account.

#5 ·
Is it an Apple smart TV? Do you have an Iphone or Ipad?

My "smart" DVD has only so many apps that I can add. However, it would let me mirror a portable device, if it was non-Apple. So, that's why I was interested in your setup.

Short answer is yes, there are a lot of options. Including... checking out your local TV broadcasts and see if you can pick it up with an antenna.

#6 ·
If broadcast TV stations are some of the content you want then try an "Over The Air" (OTA) antenna. The content is not nearly as broad in selections as cable or streaming internet but it is there for the watching if you can receive signals. OTA is "free" not considering the cost for an antenna and cable to connect it which can be a next to nothing, a few dollars, up to several hundred. Depending on your situation (house, rental, apartment, condo, etc.) and location (urban, suburban, rural) an inside set top, attic or outside mounted antenna may be what is needed. In a strong signal urban area a simple wire works for some cases but is rare. Most people these days do not even consider OTA but is popular w/ "cord cutters" as an alternative to cable provider costs and in very remote areas the only other potential option besides satellite.

#7 ·
While I use OTA, it's seldom because of the lack of programming that I want to see, but that was the same problem for me with Directv. Too expensive and I wasn't watching it very often.

I get 99% my video entertainment from my local library, which also provides links to free online movies and TV shows.
Once in a while, there's free Youtube movie that's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.