Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVD problem ?

461 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  nichos 
#1 ·
Hi,

W10 PC with internal & external DVD Drives.

When I load in either a DVD & open to see its contents the executable "setup" file you see in the 1st attached scan is not highlighted & does not run to setup the program, & the same happens with other DVDs inserted in either drive..

These two PC drives worked up to recently & the executable files were highlighted. & run the programs OK

Now the same dvd inserted in a laptop opens the same application "setup" file, shown in the next scan, is highlighted & works when double clicked indicating that there is nothing wrong with the DVD disks.

Which program or files are corrupted in the PC & affect the DVD drives so? …..thanx ….nick

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I tried to reinstall FSX but the setup file in the disk is greyed out, I will try to reinstall W10 to see if there is a repair option there..

Maybe the DVD drives's drivers are corrupted although I tried to reinstall them & they reported the ones fitted are a newer version.

#7 ·
If it was a DVD drive driver issue, the device wouldn't be working at all. A driver issue wouldn't manifest in some files on the disc not being useable.

Files and icons being greyed out is a Win10 issue. A Google search shows (among other things) that this can occur when the software is available in the MS Store and/or when it has already been installed (or at least Windows believes it to be installed).

#8 ·
In desperation I tried to roll back to previous 4 dates saved but they appeared detective so I bit the bullet & reinstalled W10, which finished successfully but still the FSX "setup" file is greyed out and am stuck.

Tried desperately for hrs to find how to replace the dvd from M.Soft with out success. They take you round the houses avoiding the issue.

It looks my sim days are over after 10-15 years of pleasure, the ruddy thing was so accurate & realistic but cannot afford now in my 90s to pay again.

Attachments

#9 ·
So what's left to consider is:

a) your dvd drive maybe defective.
b) your flight sim disk is defective
c) your flight sim does not work with the latest Win 10 with patch updates

So for a) you can replace your dvd drive. Costs around $20 https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168279...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

b) you will have to buy a new flight sim program

c) if you have an older machine not in use, you can load an old version of Windows that you know works with the flight sim. and use the flight sim only on that machine

#10 ·
Thanx,

a) The two drives in the PC run other DVDs OK.

b) I installed FSX in W10 & was working for years, now wanted to use the FSX DVD & run the repair hoping it would fix a corruption that occurred for unknown reason.

c) Purchasing FSX again is out of the question.

d) With the "setup" not working in the disk it would not load on anything.

Does anybody know how to go about to get MSoft to replace bought DVDs that went defective?, I am sure they used to say they did replace genuine disks.

Thanx all for trying to help.

#12 ·
The program is installed & used a lot until this notice you see 3 post up. So I think there is no compatibility issues.

It was this noticed that prompted me to use the setup in the DVD. .....Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.