Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copy old hd to new hd

607 views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  The1pinkflamingo 
#1 ·
Laptop wouldn't boot up so I bought a new hd. I'm trying to copy old hd to new but it won't let me copy the system and system32 files. It says i dont have permission. I've tried changing it but I'm having no luck. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
You do not copy one drive to another IF you want it to work. In addition to the system files, you would also need the boot sector of the drive. In short, copying is NOT going to work.

You clone the drive using acronis true image or other cloning/imaging program.
If the reason for the no boot was a defective hard drive, I highly doubt you are going to be able to clone the defective drive to a new one. Many drive mfg have cloning or data migration software available on their sites for just this task. There are also free programs that will accomplish this task.
The above suggestion to clean install windows, programs, and restore data is a good one.

#6 ·
Post the exact brand and model# of the laptop.
Prior to doing any install, you need to go to the support page and download all of the drivers you are going to need ie chipset, sound, nic/lan, wireless, touchpad, etc. I usually make a folder on the install usb called drivers or whatever; place your drivers in the folder. When you have all of the stuff you need in one place, it makes an install go much easier.

Next did you use the media creation tool to make the install usb?

#10 ·
OK, that makes a lot more sense. Why are you using win8? Win10 is a support operating system.
When you pw ON, make sure the usb drive is already inserted. Enter the bios and you should be able to select that usb as the first boot device. Note you may have to disable any fast boot or quick boot option in the bios in order to boot from the usb.
I am going to be off for probably the rest of the night. Good luck.

#12 ·
Go to dell support. Enter your service tag# Download All of the drivers you will need. Then use the media creation tool to make a win10 install usb OR you can use a recovery image if you can get it from dell. In either case, boot from the usb and do the install.
OK really leaving now....

#13 ·
So I went to dell and downloaded the recovery tool so all the drivers would be on there as well. When I boot up with the recovery tool, it wants a windows product key. I don't have that. So i used a product key finder to find it on the old hd but it tells me i don't have permission to access the file. So I'm still stuck And really frustrated.

#14 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.