Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor won’t connect to computer

Solved 
2K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I just received my sceptere monitor from amazon today. However the wire that comes with it is a DP to a DP. My computer doesn’t have a DP so I ordered a DP to a DVI. I hook everything up and the monitor says, “No Signal Check Input”. There are buttons on the back and I am able to change the inputs from DP, HDMI, and HDMI2. After setting it to DP it still doesn’t do anything. I’m not computer savvy so I don’t know what information you need exactly and how to get it. My computer has a DVI, DVID, and another thing that isn’t labeled but I think I can post a picture to show you if you need it. OS is 64-bit Windows 10.

#4 ·
Here is the picture. I should probably mention that I have ordered this exact same monitor on Amazon before. It also was having the same problems so I took it to Best Buy and they told me that the buttons on the back were malfunctioning and that I needed to get a refund. So I called amazon and got a replacement which is what I have right now. The buttons on the back do respond better than the other but, obviously, it won’t connect to my computer. The guys at Best Buy told me that I had bought the right cord when I had brought them the original one. And yes my old monitor worked just fine on this computer.

Attachments

#6 ·
The one on the bottom is the DVI-D the one on top of it is the one that is not labeled. It is also the one that my old monitor hooked up to. My old monitor was a Dell and I’ll provide a picture of the end of the wire that attached to the Dell monitor itself because I’m not sure what it’s called. The other end of the wire (the end that connected to the computer)has an adapter on it so it could connect to my computer.

Attachments

#9 ·
I’m sorry I don’t understand what you mean. I can connect my old monitor back to the the one above the DVI-D (the one you said is called VGA?) and it works fine. What exactly are you talking about when you said I should be able to connect both?

Also I just realized in my last comment that I said I would include a picture of the end of the wire for my old Dell monitor. But its actually a picture of what the wire plugs into on the bottom of the monitor itself.

#12 ·
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean. I can connect my old monitor back to the the one above the DVI-D (the one you said is called VGA?) and it works fine. What exactly are you talking about when you said I should be able to connect both?
OK so it sounds like the connection is DVI to VGA for your old monitor.

DP <-> DVI should be backward compatible with an adapter. Or you can use https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY for DVI to HDMI.

#19 ·
Yes, it appears that DVI to HDMI cables are bidirectional
Only DP to DVI is unidirectional.
I am thinking of doing the opposite myself, I have a 2nd monitor with VGA and DVI, and my PC has an HDMI port I can use instead of the VGA I am using now.
I figured it was, even though I found info that it was bi-directional/backward compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.